LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: LongTurn Game 8 for Freeciv-web

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

You use a patch applied on the fly to double move rates – why not add another one for the next game to activate tech leak?
~ AVL
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Caedo wrote:You use a patch applied on the fly to double move rates – why not add another one for the next game to activate tech leak?
Having a good process for handling suggestions from users is important so that the issues can be handled appropriately. That process involves submitting suggestions to the official issue-tracker, which is Hostedredmine. This will be a better process, which will involve more Freeciv developers, instead of just me. Adding patches on the fly by me was done previously, but I created an issue in Hostedredmine to get it included in the multiplayer ruleset. However from now on Hostedredmine must be used for suggesting improvements to Freeciv and Freeciv-web.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Just for the record, I don't know if any official ruleset should be officially changed and if that change should exist there for all eternity. This is why I will not use the official channels for something like this.

I will just state some things that are open for debate:
- no ruleset is perfect, features should be discussed between players, not blindly submitted to the developers to be accepted or refused
- features should be tested, and this means that features for Longturn should be tested in Longturn, not privately on my own computer
- the main thing I proposed, techleak, should exist ONLY in Longturn with many players; not in all multiplayer games by default, if someone doesn't understand why, I will gladly clarify, but I have a feeling it's quite obvious
- being rigid leads you nowhere; I've had my share of frustration with Longturn.org people due to their one-sidednes and the fact that their ideas differ from mine, but at least they are open for discussion and there it is possible to have games with different settings, which is the best (only?) way to ensure long-term survival

Thank you for your attention.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Corbeau, there are reasons why the longturn.org games are not that easily changed. The main line of LT games has been a race to compete against the other players and there neds to be good reasons for changing something. Stuff can and will be changed if there is a reason to do that.

Different maps and different setups sometimes benefit from having different rulesets, Then again sticking with one ruleset makes it easy for the players. On longturn.org the players may need to figure out, possibly every time, how the world works and also find the winning strategies. The old strategies may not work in the next game. Or they will. No one really knows :)
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Hey, sorry if this sounded too harsh, I didn't mean it to be :) Yes, I understand that with a persistent league such as LT changes should go slowly. Like I said several times, I have my idea how the game should be played and other people have their ideas, the fact that I prefer mine doesn't mean yours are wrong. I am probably also one-sided in my belief that Civ should not be a "game of chess" aimed towards victory, but a historical simulation where you should go through stages of international relations that happened through history ;)
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Np there :)

It's very good to hear about new ideas and I know it can be frustrating to see how good ideas are turned down or not implemented in ages.

I think I also now understand how different approaches longturn.org and web multiplayer take on playing Freeciv. The web version is focused on improving the technology and making it easier for people to play the game. The standard gave without that many modifications to the actual gameplay. Longturn.org however is focused on using the existing technology and improving the rulesets.

It's a shame Greatturn is no more. On GT the focus was on both. On improving the rulesets and also on improving the technology.