[meta] Tileset clearing house

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
JTN
Elite

[meta] Tileset clearing house

Post by JTN »

I've created a wiki page to track selected art and unit requests that have been posted here and might be candidates for including in the standard distribution:

wiki/User:JTN/Tileset clearinghouse

The idea is to try to push to get some units in all the formats needed (as previously discussed here), so that we might one day be able to *gasp* add new units to standard rulesets.

(For instance, once we have a decent batch of new units in 2D form, we can contact Yd, who drew the Cimpletoon units, and see if they are interested in making 3D versions.)

Please continue to post art and discuss in this subforum; the wiki page is intended as my index to keep track of what we have here (since it's so easy to lose stuff in the forum threads).
cazfi
Elite

Re: [meta] Tileset clearing house

Post by cazfi »

For Alien ruleset stuff the (only) tileset that really matters is Alio.
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Great idea!

Just a note, the Jet fighter and Mig-15 are probably meant to be the same entry...
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

JTN wrote:Please continue to post art and discuss in this subforum
Two ampcients PNGs existed: The GitHub project is apparently gone, but I have a copy and considered to create a 'morunits.png with ancient units not yet covered by Amplio(2) units; morunits spelling inspired by a Windows moricons.dll.

There are some usable (2D) Freecol + Wesnoth ships, and some might be nicer than the Ampcients ships if scaled down to Amplio(2) 64x64: The Freecol ships would fit into 96x96 by adding transparent pixels, the Wesnoth ships are all 72x72:
BfW transport-galleon
BfW transport-galleon
transport-galleon.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
BfW pirate-galleon
BfW pirate-galleon
pirate-galleon.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
BfW galleon
BfW galleon
galleon.png (8.86 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
BfW boat
BfW boat
boat.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
Edit 1: Removed hospital already noted on Tileset clearinghouse. Reconnaissance Balloon wanted by (XYZ) is also wanted by (variant2).
Edit 2: Variant2 apparently acquired its own delta2 tileset with missing units noted in the Modpack.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:
JTN wrote:Please continue to post art and discuss in this subforum
Two ampcients PNGs existed: The GitHub project is apparently gone, but I have a copy and considered to create a 'morunits.png with ancient units not yet covered by Amplio(2) units; morunits spelling inspired by a Windows moricons.dll.
Note that the reason ampcients tileset was never taken to use for ancients tileset was that Daniel was not able to get permissions from all the authors to GPL the graphics. The zip-file seems still to be in the apolyton thread.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote: Daniel was not able to get permissions from all the authors to GPL the graphics.
That's not good, at least there are enough ancient ships with known (free) licenses for a morunits.png. No GPL isn't necessarily a showstopper, some Freesounds are only Sampling+, and Alien-Music has only a permission for Freeciv.
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

I'm in a conversation on CivFanatics right now with some scenario league folks (Tanelorn, Broken_Erika, and (theroetically, although he has yet to respond) Fairline), to get their permissions to include their artwork in my mod and, potentially, the main distribution of freeciv. Tanelorn and B_E are on board, but they acknowledge the layered nature (e.g. on top of fairline's templates) of their work and both say that getting fairline's assent is really key (which is of course true). Will keep you posted.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

to include their artwork in my mod and, potentially, the main distribution of freeciv.
So their graphics would be for Amplio? Wich is 64x48 pixel. Trident on the other side has 30x30 and Cimpletoon has its own story...
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Where can I found rules for units graphics? Size, format, projection angle etc?
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

(Sorry for being quiet on this. I've been focusing on finally getting 2.6.0 out. I had previously hoped to include some of the new sprites in the 2.6.0 distribution, but didn't have spare effort and had to prioritise. I still hope to include them in some later 2.6.x. I've been more or less maintaining the wiki page, but haven't yet caught up with the large number of recent contributions; a good problem to have, thanks.)

vodot: Thanks for chasing this, sounds promising! Remember the licence they grant will have to be compatible with the GPL (2+).

Wahazar: raw pixel size is easy if you know where to look in the spec file; e.g. Sprite sheets are simple grids, with optional spacing between sprites (also in the spec file). (A single sprite can technically contain multiple grids of different sizes, but it doesn't come up much for unit sprites.) Coordinates for a given game element can be specified in the tileset-specific spec file, there isn't a fixed order. (doc/README.graphics covers some of this, but is woefully out of date so treat with caution.) File format is PNG these days.

There aren't formal specs for things like projection angle. Generally the pixel art follows the traditional 2:1 pixel scale dimetric sort of projection; you can see this in both Trident and Amplio2 mechanical units. For the Blender units (Cimpletoon) see one of the .blend files from Git or the -graphics-materials tarball to see the arrangement (these units go with Amplio2 so I assume the camera is set up for a 2:1 dimetric render, but I haven't actually checked).

(Aside: for the Blender units, I'd really like to decouple the rotation / isometric camera rig from the individual unit mesh files somehow, so that camera / lighting settings can be kept in one place and not get out of sync and new meshes can be dropped in easily. I think I'll need something like this to render XYZ's Cimpletoon contributions; we have no pipeline, automated or manual, for this; I think it was always done by yd who is gone. I'm failing to get to this; if anyone with more Blender scripting-type skillz can help out sorting out a render pipeline for Cimpletoon, talk to me.)