gna.org shutdown

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
VladimirSlavik

gna.org shutdown

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Do "we" have archives of the stuff that was at gna?
JTN
Elite

Re: gna.org shutdown

Post by JTN »

"We" have practically everything, yes.

Here are the major categories of data on gna.org:
  • Source code history (svn): backed up to Freeciv hosting, my computer, and my personal backups, refreshed at least once a day; not anywhere public. (I'm working on a git conversion.)
  • Download area: backed up on Freeciv hosting and visible at http://files.freeciv.org/ ; also backed up to my personal backups.
  • Ticket history: backed up as XML dumps once a day, on Freeciv hosting; attachments backed up ad-hoc, about once a day, on my own provision; both ending up in my personal backups. Will probably be some time before any of this is back online in any form, as it will require work.
  • Public mailing list archives: backed up in redacted mbox form on Freeciv hosting (refreshed once a day) and my personal backups. Also available publicly (along with pre-Gna archives) via NNTP on news.gmane.org.
I've also got some ad-hoc scrapes of things like project pages.

Should Freeciv hosting and my backups all go under a bus, a couple-of-months-old copy of source code history and the download area can be dug out of archive.org (courtesy of Archive Team).
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Wow, that's better than I imagined! It's a pity about the tracker tickets, since that was rather informative, but that can't be helped, I guess...
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

JTN wrote:visible at http://files.freeciv.org/
Great, less convoluted than the web.archive.org URLs. But I'm not fixing two already fixed URLs on the Wiki and commons. :P

Remotely related, folks with a Wikipedia account should watch Gna!, the "notability" of a dead Web hoster is a gray area.