BUGS ... EVERYWHERE

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Memeboiii

BUGS ... EVERYWHERE

Post by Memeboiii »

I noticed that since the last major update my engineers will no longer "auto-engineer". On a side note, it would be nice if auto-engineers could have a directed purpose, like creating railroads between cities, or only building mines, rather than building a road to nowhere.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: BUGS ... EVERYWHERE

Post by Corbeau »

Isn't there an "auto-road" command or something? I could be wrong, I remember it from somewhere, but I'm not sure.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Which version of Freeciv is this? Web version or standalone?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Standalone.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Corbeau wrote:Isn't there an "auto-road" command or something? I could be wrong, I remember it from somewhere, but I'm not sure.
The auto-settler is mostly concerned with increasing tile outputs for cities. If you want to connect two distant places with roads or some-such, you would need to use 'connect with...(road, irrigate, etc)', which will connect both points with said extra if it is able.

I believe in the far future 3.0 version, you will be able to set a thing you want engineered on a given tile via the city menu.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:I believe in the far future 3.0 version, you will be able to set a thing you want engineered on a given tile via the city menu.
This is coming in 2.6. Not much help for building a road network though, it's again geared toward improving city output.

There is no auto-road-network option in Freeciv, just the "connect A to B with road" order already described.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Memeboiii wrote:I noticed that since the last major update my engineers will no longer "auto-engineer".
Which version exactly is this?

What actions do you take exactly, and what happens when you try, and what did you expect instead?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

JTN wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:I believe in the far future 3.0 version, you will be able to set a thing you want engineered on a given tile via the city menu.
This is coming in 2.6. Not much help for building a road network though, it's again geared toward improving city output.
Yeah, but there are also a few problems with it (IMO): Firstly, you can only give one order at a time per tile, so if I want to build e.g. road and irrigation, I have to set one order, then periodically check again which orders have already been completed in order to give the next order, which doesn't really provide any advantage over manually giving the orders directly to my workers. Secondly, only one unit will work a given job at a time, even if that will take it a couple dozen turns. Thirdly, you can't give any orders if you have a citizen governor enabled (GTK+3.22 at least), since any clicks on the city map are disabled. Fourthly, once there are no pre-programmed orders anymore, the workers, being automated, will do their own stuff, which might be something I don't want (e.g. I expect to get Explosives soon, so I irrigate my hills now, before transforming them, and then the auto-workers immediately undo what I did by building a mine). Seriously, I've had Engineers start transforming swamp to connect my city to the ocean, and then an auto-worker came and tried to irrigate the swamp into grassland.
In general, I don't really trust auto-workers. Doesn't help that they stand around like bloody idiots when enemies show up.
Hm, I suppose I should organize all of this and put it on hrm.
~ AVL
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Caedo wrote:Hm, I suppose I should organize all of this and put it on hrm.
Please do; keeping track of ideas/bugs on this forum, and relying on developers to organise / promote them, is too much work for us.

However, this one:
Caedo wrote:Thirdly, you can't give any orders if you have a citizen governor enabled (GTK+3.22 at least), since any clicks on the city map are disabled.
seems like a simple bug with a simple fix, so as an exception I've raised it myself: hrm #697695.
(Unlike the others, which require extensive redesign. As background, I think this feature was added in its current form because a side effect of a feature added to the AI made it easy.)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Alright, I've now raised:
Bug #697699 (standing around like bloody idiots)
Feature #697700 (setting multiple tasks)
Bug #697702 (not working together)
Bug #697703 (undoing explicit commands)

And yes, I consider those bugs, since they're not what auto-settlers are intended to do, that is, alter terrain for maximum efficiency.
~ AVL