Can I get a mousetrap?

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Jim-11

Can I get a mousetrap?

Post by Jim-11 »

Frequently I will click a unit so I can use the keyboard arrows or the go-to command to give movement instructions to that unit. Sometimes, however, the unit will immediately move in some strange direction before I can give movement directions. :shock: I assume that is caused by the mouse (possibly by an inadvertent double click, or by an unintended second click in a different location) giving a movement command, but I am not sure because I never intentionally use the mouse to direct the movement of a unit. My wish is for a user option to disable directional movement commands by the mouse. It would be better to enable the user to avoid simple errors, than to insist that the user do things perfectly. ;)

BTW, sometimes I want to direct a unit to move from its current location to a new location by way of a mid point that I select. The computer often chooses a route that is not where I want the unit to travel. Does anyone know how to tell the unit to move through one or more specific points on the way to its destination? Thanks!
cazfi
Elite

Re: Can I get a mousetrap?

Post by cazfi »

Jim-11 wrote:BTW, sometimes I want to direct a unit to move from its current location to a new location by way of a mid point that I select. The computer often chooses a route that is not where I want the unit to travel. Does anyone know how to tell the unit to move through one or more specific points on the way to its destination? Thanks!
'G' -key makes waypoint. Draw the goto -line to the tile you want as waypoint, press 'G', and then you can continue goto -line to next waypoint.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

cazfi wrote:'G' -key makes waypoint. Draw the goto -line to the tile you want as waypoint, press 'G', and then you can continue goto -line to next waypoint.
Thanks! That does work when the start and end points are on the same screen width, but it looks like I need to use the mouse to draw the path. I was hoping for a way to set a waypoint without using the mouse because sometimes the end point is more than a screen width away from the start point. is there a way to scroll the display while (at the same time) holding down the mouse button to draw the path for a unit to move?
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Jim-11 wrote:
cazfi wrote:'G' -key makes waypoint. Draw the goto -line to the tile you want as waypoint, press 'G', and then you can continue goto -line to next waypoint.
Thanks! That does work when the start and end points are on the same screen width, but it looks like I need to use the mouse to draw the path. I was hoping for a way to set a waypoint without using the mouse because sometimes the end point is more than a screen width away from the start point. is there a way to scroll the display while (at the same time) holding down the mouse button to draw the path for a unit to move?
Actually, you don't need to hold down a mouse button when making waypoints. With a unit activated, press 'G' once to start waypoint creation, point your mouse (don't click) to desired waypoint and press 'G' again. Repeat until all waypoints are defined and click with your mouse in destination tile. While creating waypoints you can move the map view by right-clicking as usual. The 'G' command will not be interrupted.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Jim-11 wrote:My wish is for a user option to disable directional movement commands by the mouse.
How about Game-Options-Local Client; Interface tab; Keyboardless goto?
Unchek this option to not be able to drag a route for a unit with the mouse.
The above described waypoint definition still works if you initiate it with 'G'.
Jim-11

Post by Jim-11 »

HanduMan wrote:
Jim-11 wrote:My wish is for a user option to disable directional movement commands by the mouse.
How about Game-Options-Local Client; Interface tab; Keyboardless goto?
Unchek this option to not be able to drag a route for a unit with the mouse.
The above described waypoint definition still works if you initiate it with 'G'.
Thanks! This works great, and it is exactly what I wished for. :D HanduMan may be the mythical genie that grants several wishes. If so, then I have a few more involving power, money, beautiful women, and world peace. Tell me which you want to work on first. :lol:
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Jim-11 wrote:HanduMan may be the mythical genie that grants several wishes. If so, then I have a few more involving power, money, beautiful women, and world peace. Tell me which you want to work on first. :lol:
I'll be happy to curse your next freeciv game with unbreakable world peace. :twisted:
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

HanduMan wrote:
Jim-11 wrote:HanduMan may be the mythical genie that grants several wishes. If so, then I have a few more involving power, money, beautiful women, and world peace. Tell me which you want to work on first. :lol:
I'll be happy to curse your next freeciv game with unbreakable world peace. :twisted:
You want patch for "permanentpeace" server setting?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
HanduMan wrote:
You want patch for "permanentpeace" server setting?
Yes! To play a game that's only about fighting barbarians, deceiving and spying enemies and building spaceships!
~ AVL