Wish/priority/fix list

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
drdogbot7

Re: Wish/priority/fix list

Post by drdogbot7 »

JTN wrote:A player with military units is not without hope; they could conquer a city and start again.
This isn't an issue in the current Longturn games, b/c you don't start with any military units, hence all your military units end up requiring a city for support.

Theoretically though, you're right. Actually, even if you just had an embassy with somebody, then you could maybe buy a city off them… We're getting into the realm of some pretty unlikely victories though.

EDIT: Of course, my original thought was more that new players (to freeciv and/or long turn) might join a long turn game already-in-progress, start with no useful units and then just get frustrated and never return. In other words, if that's your first experience with the game, you're probably not going to have a great time.
Last edited by drdogbot7 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hampton

Post by Hampton »

Trying to discuss strategy among your allies with the character limit of a tweet is very annoying. I would prefer it if the people responsible for development moved all player chat to a new in-game tab like with research and nations so that it can take up the entire screen without being cumbersome. That way, I'll be able to send a paragraph without having to spam the text box.
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

Hampton wrote:Trying to discuss strategy among your allies with the character limit of a tweet is very annoying. I would prefer it if the people responsible for development moved all player chat to a new in-game tab like with research and nations so that it can take up the entire screen without being cumbersome. That way, I'll be able to send a paragraph without having to spam the text box.
the only issue I see is that you could easily overlook important messages unless there was some kind of notification system visible from the main map…
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

drdogbot7 wrote:EDIT: Of course, my original thought was more that new players (to freeciv and/or long turn) might join a long turn game already-in-progress, start with no useful units and then just get frustrated and never return. In other words, if that's your first experience with the game, you're probably not going to have a great time.
This is exactly the opposite of what (I forgot the name, sorry, I suck at remembering names) wrote in another thread, that even starting crippled is better than not starting at all, because at least you get to get some experience by simply looking and doing the moves, feel the environment, talk to people etc. This way at least you get to play for a bit and don't have to wait for a new official start that may come who knows when. And if you get frustrated because you are not in a winning position in your first game of something so big and complex such as Civilization, maybe this is not the right game for you. Especially the Longturn variant.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

Corbeau wrote:
drdogbot7 wrote:EDIT: Of course, my original thought was more that new players (to freeciv and/or long turn) might join a long turn game already-in-progress, start with no useful units and then just get frustrated and never return. In other words, if that's your first experience with the game, you're probably not going to have a great time.
This is exactly the opposite of what (I forgot the name, sorry, I suck at remembering names) wrote in another thread, that even starting crippled is better than not starting at all, because at least you get to get some experience by simply looking and doing the moves, feel the environment, talk to people etc. This way at least you get to play for a bit and don't have to wait for a new official start that may come who knows when. And if you get frustrated because you are not in a winning position in your first game of something so big and complex such as Civilization, maybe this is not the right game for you. Especially the Longturn variant.
Good points. I think it's a question of how crippled is too crippled. I agree you certainly don't need to start in a "winning" position to have a meaningful game, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to start with at least 1 city or settler either.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

A new version of Freeciv-web has been released to production now. This is the changelog. Enjoy!
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

AndreasR wrote:A new version of Freeciv-web has been released to production now. This is the changelog. Enjoy!
Why disable trading tech? Just curious.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

drdogbot7 wrote:
AndreasR wrote:A new version of Freeciv-web has been released to production now. This is the changelog. Enjoy!
Why disable trading tech? Just curious.
This has been discussed. Search my posts, I mentioned it a few times here and there.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
drdogbot7

Post by drdogbot7 »

accomplishednoob wrote:Does anyone know how to withdraw shared vision from a former peaceful nation?
I'd like to know this too. Is this possible?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Guys, that issue id for the "longturn support" thread ;)

And on topic, I have a wish: show the total number of bulbs produced per turn (preferably in the Research screen) so that I don't have to add up all cities one by one. Adding to spreadsheet ;)
--