Longturn Diplomacy

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
Civothy

Longturn Diplomacy

Post by Civothy »

Never having played against a human opponent before, never mind a couple dozen of them, I could use some help. I think I might be doing something terribly wrong and I don't want to get into a war over a mistake that could have been avoided.

Everyone who has contacted me in Longturn Game 5 has declared war on me. Is that how these games normally open up? What do folks do to try and convince others to enter a cease- fire? At the rate things are going I'll be fighting a four front war, and I might cripple someone else just in time for me to be taken out and it won't even be 20 turns into the game...

Any and all help is appreciated!
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
AlexusBlack

Re: Longturn Diplomacy

Post by AlexusBlack »

From Longturn Web 2 experience
War state is default state between nations, you need establish embassy to make armistice following peace, or cease fire is you are fine with war in 16 turns.

No diplomatic actions are available without embassies, at least on official level, you can always talk to your neighbours using chat.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, this is the most important advice on multiplayer Civ ever:

TALK TO PEOPLE.

Now, everybody, read this sentence three times.

If you talk to people, you may have peace. If you don't, you will definitely have war, sooner or later, one way or another.

Some people don't talk. If you send a message or two and they don't reply, assume hostile intentions and do everything you can to defent yourself, including aggression (because SOMETIMES there is no point waiting for them to attack you).

If they do reply, however, and you start talking, it's 90% certain you will have peace. Probably 99%.

And you don't have to exchange diplomats to have peace. The word "war" in the Nations menu doesn't mean you are at war. That is only game mechanics, it is faulty and it doesn't dictate your noe your neighbours' behaviour. What matters is the agreement you have reached and the word you gave and received.

Also, it's not always good from the game-mechanical standpoint to have "Peace" because of some unit movement limitations. If you are on good terms, go for Alliance or stay at official "War". Only if there is a trust issue then those movement limitations are actually good and you should have "Peace".
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

Thank you both, this has been exceptionally helpful. Hopefully war will be averted. :D

On another note, how do you communicate with other players? This is all probably terribly basic, but I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

From what I've gathered so far, if one of my units or one of someone else's units come into contact, I can message that player (or they can message me) via the Nations page's "Send Message" feature. These messages seem rather short. Can I send more than one message a day to the same someone? Is there a way to chat more in- depth?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

You don't have to be in contact. You can send a private message to anyone either through the "Nations" screen or directly through chat. If you type

Corbeau: Hello!

(so, that's a name followed by a colon, no space before the colon)

I will get the message that will roughly look like this:

(Civothy -> Corbeau) Hello!

and nobody else will get anything. it's a private message and you can send them as many as you like. Where did you get that "one per day"?

However, I dread the in-game chat because since the LongTurn Web thing started, every now and then it happens that the chat malfunctions and jumps to main screen in the middle of me typing a message and, as a result, I end up issuing random commands to my units. I disbanded at least one unit that way and I don't know how many others I sent in random directions doing random stuff. Instead, I prefer forum and private messaging through here. But some people aren't even registered on the forum so there is no other way to talk to them except through in-game chat.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

I pulled "one message a day" out of thin air. I didn't know if there was some kind of limitation placed on in- game communication, or if it was effectively unlimited. When I used the "Nations" tab's "Send Message" it didn't look to me like the message was sent immediately. I wasn't paying full attention, but it looked like the message wasn't sent until I hit "End Turn." I'll be more aware next time and see what's actually happening.
GrantHenninger

Post by GrantHenninger »

Here's a stupid question, how do I propose an Alliance? I just successfully did it with Corbeau, but I don't know how I did it. I had the diplomacy window open while I was creating a forum account to ask this question, and it just said it was done. Do I need to leave the meeting window open until the other player agrees or cancels? And if so, what happens when I close the tab or want to make a move?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

open the tab and keep it open. You can log off, kill Firefox, anything, just don't close diplomacy window.

On a sidenote, I am glad that you just broke my misconception that you have an offensive nickname "Gran the Nigger" :D

...which would have probably been broken way sooner if I was able to see the additional "n"...
--