LongTurn Game 5 for Freeciv-web

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
AndreasR
Elite

LongTurn Game 5 for Freeciv-web

Post by AndreasR »

LongTurn game 5 for Freeciv-web has been started now!

You can join LongTurn game 5 here!

The game has the following settings:
- 300 human players maximum.
- 30000 map tiles.
- It uses the Multiplayer ruleset with x2 movement.

These are the settings.

A new version of Freeciv-web has also been released at the same time, with some bugfixes.

Please post any feedback about game 5 here, and help invite new players to this new LongTurn game! Enjoy!

I tried starting this game with 500 players first, but it didn't work. The game never started. A 500 player game worked perfectly on my computer running Freeciv-web on Vagrant, but apparently 500 players does not on the production server.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: LongTurn Game 5 for Freeciv-web

Post by Corbeau »

Since I just found out that there is a 10-hour /unitwaittime, can we have a list of other changes, if there are any?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

The settings are all described in the settings link above. Disabled tech trading and unit wait time at 10 hours are the most notable. These are settings I copied over from the latest longturn.org settings.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Oops :oops:
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

What is the countdown timer I see over the "End Turn" button? How does that relate to the unit wait time?
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

It doesn't. Every unit has its own timer (that you can't see). Once the next turn starts, you can move that unit at least 10 hours after you moved THAT unit in the previous turn.

This doesn't affect moving units during the same turn. You can move a Chariot every three hours by one move (for example), as long as it's during the same turn. Once the new turn is on, you have to wait 10 hours after you moved it the last time to move it again.
--
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

OK, I think I have a handle on the difference between the two, thanks! But, why is there such a thing as unit wait time? Why not let a player make all their moves as soon as the new turn starts?

This is my first long turn game, and first game with other humans. I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm missing, and I have a feeling this might be one of them.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Civothy wrote:OK, I think I have a handle on the difference between the two, thanks! But, why is there such a thing as unit wait time? Why not let a player make all their moves as soon as the new turn starts?
It's so that you can't make a bunch of moves right before the turn ends and then immediately again after the next turn starts, as that would give you a unfair double-move advantage over people who can't be online right as the turn switches.
~ AVL
Civothy

Post by Civothy »

Caedo wrote:
Civothy wrote:OK, I think I have a handle on the difference between the two, thanks! But, why is there such a thing as unit wait time? Why not let a player make all their moves as soon as the new turn starts?
It's so that you can't make a bunch of moves right before the turn ends and then immediately again after the next turn starts, as that would give you a unfair double-move advantage over people who can't be online right as the turn switches.
Oh, that makes sense. I wish there were a way to see the unit wait time for any given unit, but I'll manage somehow.

Another question for this current LT game: using "/show all" I see that the player starting positions are supposed to be one player per continent, but I've already been contacted by another human player (and I just contacted a reserved player position myself). Is this right? Seems like things could get messy very quickly, before you have much chance to get your feet under you.

I wouldn't mind a huge map that's 80% water, to be honest. A fight along an island archipelago could be interesting.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Civothy wrote:Oh, that makes sense. I wish there were a way to see the unit wait time for any given unit, but I'll manage somehow.
There is a way ;) Try to move it and the server will tell you that you can't and how much more time needs to pass.

As for positions, the initial positions are under "if possible". Since there is only one continent, it is clearly not possible, therefore...
--