LongTurn game 4 for Freeciv-web has been started now!

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

You can join LongTurn game 4 here!

The game has the following settings:
- 250 human players maximum.
- 30000 map tiles.
- It uses the Multiplayer ruleset with x2 movement.

A new version of Freeciv-web has also been released at the same time, with some bugfixes:
-Show production information in city dialog.
-View stacks of enemy units by clicking on them.
-Show some info about other players from embassy.
-Keyboard input bugfix.

You can also see the blog post about game 4 here.

Please post any feedback about game 4 here, and help invite new players to this new LongTurn game! Enjoy!
Corbeau
Elite

Re: LongTurn game 4 for Freeciv-web has been started now!

Post by Corbeau »

Do you have any plan/strategy on how often you are going to start new games?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Yes, I have a plan for when to start more LongTurn games. I'll start new LongTurn games when players request it, whenever I find it appropriate and/or when the other games are full.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I've started planning for LongTurn-web game #5.
These are the planned settings. These are the changes required so far.

My test-game uses 2,8GB of RAM, so it should be safe for the server. Cazfi or Sveinung, so you know of any reasons why 500 players should not work in Freeciv-web? Based on my testing so far it seems to work nicely.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote:why 500 players should not work in Freeciv-web? Based on my testing so far it seems to work nicely.
I have a number of patches waiting to fix issues with player number being uint16, I expect there to be more still lurking...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Have you already applied https://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/673898 for the 250 players case? (For the total of two bugfixes for player count 250)
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:
AndreasR wrote:why 500 players should not work in Freeciv-web? Based on my testing so far it seems to work nicely.
I have a number of patches waiting to fix issues with player number being uint16, I expect there to be more still lurking...
Great! I estimate that the next LongTurn game will start in about one week. Feel free to apply any relevant patches directly to Freeciv-web to enable better support for 500 players and uint16 player numbers.

> Have you already applied https://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/673898 for the 250 players case? (For the total of two bugfixes for player count 250)

Observers are not allowed in Freeciv-web LongTurn games, so I don't think this is critical.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote:Observers are not allowed in Freeciv-web LongTurn games
The bug affects any game where the code supports 250 players, not only those where all the player slots are in use. You run the same server binary for single player games, don't you?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

cazfi wrote:
AndreasR wrote:Observers are not allowed in Freeciv-web LongTurn games
The bug affects any game where the code supports 250 players, not only those where all the player slots are in use. You run the same server binary for single player games, don't you?
Are you certain that this bug affect the JSON protocol? I don't think it differentiates between uint8 and uint16.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

sveinung wrote:Are you certain that this bug affect the JSON protocol? I don't think it differentiates between uint8 and uint16.
Good point. It doesn't affect exact sending and receiving of the network packet. I'm not sure about what happens outside that point, though. The value might be wrong already before json gets hold of it.