Extreme wait time for turns causing connection loss

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Civothy

Extreme wait time for turns causing connection loss

Post by Civothy »

Greetings all,

I'm a new player to Civilization, and also to Freeciv. I've run into a big brick wall and can't seem to get over it.

I'm playing the "Very large map of Europe 200 x 100" scenario. There are currently 23 players (me and 22 AI instances). Seems like a lot of revolutions have spawned extra AI players.

I am now seeing nearly 240 seconds between turns. That is an awfully long time. Additionally, my connection to the server is often being lost, which I believe is because of the extremely long turnaround times from one turn to the other.

Is this normal? As the game has progressed the turnaround times have been getting longer and longer. At first it was only a few seconds, but now it's nearly 240 seconds and if the game were to keep going it could easily be 300 seconds or much more.

How can I improve this? The AI is already set to easy, but it didn't make much more than a few seconds difference.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer!
Playing Freeciv-web on a Mac running OS X 10.12.3 via Safari 10.0.3
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Extreme wait time for turns causing connection loss

Post by AndreasR »

Playing on a very large map with a large number of AI's will result in the performance issues that you describe. I suggest you try playing on a smaller map with fewer AI players. You can also donate to help us provide a better server. You can also run Freeciv-web locally on your own computer using Vagrant.