Apollo Program and the World Map

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Steve R.

Apollo Program and the World Map

Post by Steve R. »

According the the rule set for the Apollo Program: "The entire map becomes permanently visible to the player who owns it ...". I find that to be incongruous as in the real world everyone has access to the world map. Additionally freeciv has the AWACS unit. With that in mind I would like to suggest (one of the following):

1. The Apollo rule-set be changed to expose the world map to all players.
2. Add a nation improvement (space port) should be required that would permit the launching of satellites that would allow for a view of the world map and/or a satellite version of AWACS.

PS: As an additional thought, before the spaceship can be launched, a space port should be built.
Lachu
Elite

Re: Apollo Program and the World Map

Post by Lachu »

I have idea to add defense against rockets to each city of player who owns Apollo Program.
pak

Re: Apollo Program and the World Map

Post by pak »

> 1. The Apollo rule-set be changed to expose the world map to all players.
> 2. Add a nation improvement (space port) should be required that would permit the launching
> of satellites that would allow for a view of the world map and/or a satellite version of AWACS.

In civ2civ3, I find that I am only allowed the required "Reveal_Map" for Wonders. I haven't
tested it yet, but perhaps the following would be ok, although it doesnt do the information
leaking you would like. You could also split space flight into two separate techs, a low-orbit
(for eg Satellites) and a high-orbit (for Apollo). The "satellite" here seems to inhabit the city,
but you could call it a ground station if you wanted, and assume the existence of an actual
satellite is implied (here I have an implied ground station).

In effects.ruleset:

[effect_satellites]
type = "Reveal_Map"
value = 1
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"Building", "Satellite", "Player"
}

With this in buildings.ruleset:

[building_satellites]
name = _("Satellite")
genus = "SmallWonder"