SLAVERS!!!

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
ahfretheim

Re: SLAVERS!!!

Post by ahfretheim »

I just wanted to tell you all that I'm on a modified version of the FreeCiv version 2.5.6 that will include, among other things, slave-taking functionality. I'll make it fairly modular, so individual users and rulesets can adjust how slaves are taken et cetera as much as possible. I'm actually learning C to do this - LOL! (I wonder if there's some strange rule of the universe that Georgia Tech graduates can only learn C by working on video games...) I can include a "ban slaves" effect in effects.ruleset for if you feel a certain government (or, for that matter, anything that could cause an effect normally) should cause slaves to not be allowed.

I'm working on many other changes too, and you are all welcome to PM me if you have specific ideas. I'm thinking I'll call it "Fretheim's Version" when I'm done, and it will include a lot of the functionality required to create a more Civ CTP implementation and also some things that I just think are neat and aren't from any previous version of Civ (e.g. rural population, variable rates of barbarian formation depending upon terrain and discovery, cities controlled by barbarians coalescing in to new civilizations if there are enough of them in a certain area, et cetera).
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Slave-taking functionality exist in freeciv in the form of Capturer/Capturable unit type flags. While that functionality is not really granular in 2.5, development version of 3.0 already has better model based on action enablers.

If you're not already subscibed to freeciv-dev mailing list, it might be a good idea to do so. http://gna.org/mail/?group=freeciv
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

In my opinion slavers could be special citizen, who exists once city is captured. He can be unhappy and rebel, but unhappiness of slavers are not depend on civilization size and was calculated separately than normal citizens unhappy. Another think is military units always makes slavers happy not depending on government.
ahfretheim

Post by ahfretheim »

Lachu wrote:In my opinion slavers could be special citizen, who exists once city is captured. He can be unhappy and rebel, but unhappiness of slavers are not depend on civilization size and was calculated separately than normal citizens unhappy. Another think is military units always makes slavers happy not depending on government.
Yeah except you don't actually have to capture a city to capture slaves.
ahfretheim

Post by ahfretheim »

cazfi wrote:Slave-taking functionality exist in freeciv in the form of Capturer/Capturable unit type flags. While that functionality is not really granular in 2.5, development version of 3.0 already has better model based on action enablers.

If you're not already subscibed to freeciv-dev mailing list, it might be a good idea to do so. http://gna.org/mail/?group=freeciv
I can't seem to find the post you're speaking of. Could you care to elaborate? What does a "capturer" do? Does it take citizens, or units?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

ahfretheim wrote:I can't seem to find the post you're speaking of. Could you care to elaborate? What does a "capturer" do? Does it take citizens, or units?
See units.ruleset comments about "Capturer" and "Capturable" flags.

Capturing was changed to be action enablers controlled in patch #5604.
ahfretheim

Post by ahfretheim »

cazfi wrote:
ahfretheim wrote:I can't seem to find the post you're speaking of. Could you care to elaborate? What does a "capturer" do? Does it take citizens, or units?
See units.ruleset comments about "Capturer" and "Capturable" flags.

Capturing was changed to be action enablers controlled in patch #5604.
I just checked, it's not mentioned ANYWHERE here: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Editing_R ... leset_file Furthermore, if "capturable" is exclusively a unit property is grossly inadequate as you should be able to capture citizens from enemy cities as well. Anyways, in my version units with this ability will have a hard-coded "Slaver" or "IgWallSlaver" flag.
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

Maybe add an option to hurry building production, sacrificing slavers? In Civilization 3 is a concept to hurry production, using city population(BUT ONLY IN SOME GOVERNMENT).
pak

Post by pak »

I've addressed this by simply adding a "Slave Worker" unit to the civ2civ3 ruleset; imo anything more complicated isn't really in the
style of the abstract viewpoint of freeciv. They are slightly cheaper and slightly less effective version of ordinary workers; but are
also capturable, since slaves don't get the choice who to work for.

I also have added a "Abolition of Slavery" great wonder, and a new tech Activism, with a nominal and rather pointless "Activist" unit
to enable Slave Workers to be obsoleted. Civs with lots of Slave Workers who have Leonardo's Workshop and research Activism can
end up with more Activists than they need (ie more than none).

I've had a play with other effects and other things (ie side effects on economy and so on of slave use, or of Abolition), but the basic
idea is to tempt players into using slaves as a convenience, just as occurs in history; but the choice to behave better is always there.

[unit_slaveworker]
name = _("?unit:SlaveWorkers")
class = "Small Land"
tech_req = "None"
obsolete_by = "Activist"
graphic = "u.slaveworker"
graphic_alt = "u.engineers" ; for compatibility
sound_move = "m_worker"
sound_move_alt = "m_generic"
sound_fight = "f_worker"
sound_fight_alt = "f_generic"
build_cost = 15
pop_cost = 0
attack = 0
defense = 1
hitpoints = 3
firepower = 1
move_rate = 1
vision_radius_sq = 0
transport_cap = 0
fuel = 0
uk_happy = 0
uk_shield = 1
uk_food = 0
uk_gold = 1
flags = "Settlers", "NonMil", "Capturable"
; No veteran levels (level name is never displayed)
veteran_names = _("green")
veteran_raise_chance = 0
veteran_work_raise_chance = 0
veteran_power_fact = 100
veteran_move_bonus = 0
roles = "Settlers"
helptext = _("\
Slave Workers have the ability to improve terrain tiles.\
"), _("\
They are slightly less capable than ordinary workers, but \
can be built more quickly. As the slaves have no loyalty to \
their current owners, they are easily captured. \