Stuck in "please wait while connecting to server" when attempting PBEM

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
kokomante

Stuck in "please wait while connecting to server" when attempting PBEM

Post by kokomante »

Basically what the thread title says. I create a PBEM game with 2 other friends' email addresses and when I hit OK and I'm about to change the settings of the game, I get stuck on that screen and it never connects to the game.
Any help?

Thanks a lot!
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Stuck in "please wait while connecting to server" when attempting PBEM

Post by AndreasR »

Hi!

Can you please try again now? Note that the other players have to sign up for a new account first, and tell you their usernames.
Then you can create the PBEM game by providing their usernames.

The PBEM support is still in development and I am very interested in improving it. Please let me know how it goes the next time, and perhaps I can improve some things?

Andreas
kokomante

Post by kokomante »

Thanks a lot Andreas. I'm going to try to convince my friends to create an account. I'm basically that annoying friend who's obsessed with the ultimate Civ PBEM game that lets us play even if we're living in different countries etc... they're more chill about it so the cool thing about Freeciv web is that it doesn't demand them installing games or doing anything weird, just open the e-mail and play the game. But I still have to convince them to create an account :D
I'd like to know if there are plans to implement AI players in PBEM games? I guess they would be more comfortable playing a first game with AI enemies so we can ally together against them (if it's only 3 of us they're gonna think that it's either 2v1 or be wary I'm more experienced and will crush them! :lol: ).

Also, is there any "fast start" option planned?

Thanks!
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

If you want to help me improve the PBEM support in Freeciv-web, then before inviting your friends to play a real PBEM game,
perhaps you could test the current PBEM functionality, by signing up with three new accounts of your own, and testing playing some turns,
and report back to be if you discover any bugs. When that is okay, then you can play a real PBEM game with your friends.
I need feedback from the players to know what to improve!

>I'd like to know if there are plans to implement AI players in PBEM games?

Yes, I can add that soon, hopefully in the next version.

> Also, is there any "fast start" option planned?

Do you have more information about what this means?

Andreas