new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Sarilho1

Re: new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Post by Sarilho1 »

I now that you are just starting and I don't want to rush, but I have some questions (not technical, because I don't understand most of that things):
* What constructions/units will be available in the beginning of the game?
* Would dugout canoes be able to navigate like triremes, for example? We now examples that these boats can travel long distances (even oceans), but they are to fragile and normally they are/were used to travel in rivers or near the coast.

P.S.: Thanks for your your previously reply!
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

ngunjaca wrote:Does anyone has any suggestions for Tribal Age buildings?
I don't know if you will create wonders (I have no ideas for buildings, besides the ones you already have), but if you will, there is an idea for one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_of_Willendorf, one of the most well know symbols of that period.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I noticed in your current Tech Effects that you have planned "In Freeciv 2.5 allows Irrigation" for Agriculture. The "Irrig_Possible" effect is in freeciv 2.4, so if you don't have some balance reason to not to implement that one before other 2.5 features, you can have it already.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

thnx for the tip cazfi. my biggest concern is if i limit the tile outputs (especially food), cities will grow very slow, as several techs influence the food tile outputs. so some testing will be neccessary
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

ok,
The Tribals have new unit graphics. Here there are:
I used the amplio unit graphics from original FreeCiv as a base layer and then modified colors, shapes as I felt it is most appropriate for the unit.
So from left to right:
upper line is a Tribal Spearmen followed by Tribal Warrior,
lower line is a Tribal Archer and Tribal Hunter.

Feel free to comment and suggest changes
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

I have some question for the more experienced here related to copyright and the graphics.
If I make the unit graphics as derivative work from the amplio gfx which is released together with FreeCiv is it allowed to release mods with such modified gfx or not. Of course the mod would be released under GPL same as FreeCiv is released.
Just wondering if there are some restrictions as I am not familiar with these things.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

ngunjaca wrote:I have some question for the more experienced here related to copyright and the graphics.
If I make the unit graphics as derivative work from the amplio gfx which is released together with FreeCiv is it allowed to release mods with such modified gfx or not. Of course the mod would be released under GPL same as FreeCiv is released.
Just wondering if there are some restrictions as I am not familiar with these things.
That's exactly what "free" (as in speech) in Open Source stands for. You have the liberty to use it to create derivative works. GPL has just the restriction that makes sure it stays that way - derivative work must also be free, licensed with GPL (GPLv2+ (GPL version 2 or any newer, by user's choice) in case of freeciv), and to make sure user really can create derivative work, any source files ("preferred format to modify") must be provided.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

thx cazfi for the explanation...
I made two more unit gfx, a Tribe Horsemen and a Tribe Hero (it is planned that this is a unique unit which can be built only in the capital/chief village). Again both units are derived from the amplio set originally from FreeCiv.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Here is the Barbarian unit for Prehistoric Ages:
And here are the first Settlers and Workers:

So far I have to make the canoes unit gfx and then off to the buildings...
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Here they are, all units for the Tribal Age:
First row: Spearmen, Hunter, Warrior, Horsemen, Archer, Hero
Secon row: Worker, Settler, Trader, Barbarian, Canoes

Except for the Canoes all gfx is derived from the amplio FreeCiv regular unit gfx.