Tileset for Alien World ruleset

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Tileset for Alien World ruleset

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Alright, progress pic:
You'll easily see what I've already done. I'll work on what's missing for this one and then start on the amplio-based one.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:For the record: I've been testing with one tileset myself, but I cannot distribute that due to license terms of the gfx used.
But now I want to share at least this one screenshot of what alien ruleset is like.
Attachments
SLalien.png
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
cazfi wrote:For the record: I've been testing with one tileset myself, but I cannot distribute that due to license terms of the gfx used.
But now I want to share at least this one screenshot of what alien ruleset is like.
Whoa. That's nice.
But the boiling ocean looks... not as I imagined boiling ocean.
~ AVL
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

It looks great. It gives a cool atmosphere to the game. Too bad the gfx is licensed, is there a chance to sort out this licensing issue?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

ngunjaca wrote:It looks great. It gives a cool atmosphere to the game. Too bad the gfx is licensed, is there a chance to sort out this licensing issue?
Well, for anything included to freeciv proper we need to be very very strict about GPLv2+ compliance. Graphics in that tileset are from Scenario League, and while they give gfx out for people to use, that's not good enough for declaring them GPLv2+ licensed. So, getting that licensed under GPLv2+ would require finding out original author of each sprite and asking them to give them out under GPLv2+. Further, I suspect that some of the gfx currently in the tileset is not original works, but ripped from somewhere. We would need to find replacement for those.
At one point I had the idea of distributing the tileset separately already when working on GPLv2+ licensing issue, but that too would require some work. You see, as common practice with tilesets is, it uses some of the sprites common to all tilesets from freeciv. And as those sprites are under GPLv2+, that makes the entire tileset derived work which I cannot distribute under license other than GPLv2+. To make it distributable separately not licensed under GPLv2+ would require getting replacement for all those sprites that are currently licensed under GPLv2+.

So, at the moment I'm waiting if someone is willing to produce higher quality tileset for alien ruleset. If yes, that tileset will be used anyway, and time spent on resolving license issues of SLalien would be wasted.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Wow-wee!
I just discovered this thread and it makes my mouth water!
1) Could we have a picture of the current progress of the Alien tileset? I would be nice if city names and prod labels could be left out, as to make the image easier to see and enlarge.
2) Can the copyrighted images be listed away from the 'free' ones?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I think it's time I start trying to get graphics in this current tileset ("SLalien") licensed under GPLv2+. As its tile size is same as isotrident, I can create (yet) another tileset ("SpaceLeague") that is always completely GPLv2+ compliant - starting as copy of isotrident and getting graphics replaced bit by bit as it gets available under GPLv2+.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

cazfi wrote:
cazfi wrote:I think it's time I start trying to get graphics in this current tileset ("SLalien") licensed under GPLv2+. As its tile size is same as isotrident, I can create (yet) another tileset ("SpaceLeague") that is always completely GPLv2+ compliant - starting as copy of isotrident and getting graphics replaced bit by bit as it gets available under GPLv2+.
Hi Cazfi, What ended up happening to this alien world project Cazfi? Looks awesome!
Blake's Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Civ, MoM, C&C, Dune, HoMM, B5, Star Trek, Doom, TES & more!
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Okay after some investigating and getting lost in the Alien Mod & FreeCiv modding wiki pages I managed to figure out that your modpack is now part of FreeCiv and that I needed to run a special modpack tool (freeciv-mp-gtk3.exe) with Freeciv to download your mod files into the game.

So I downloaded the latest FreeCiv (2.6.2), ran the modpack tool, downloaded the Alien ruleset, the Alio tileset and the Alien music in the tool.

Started up Freeciv, started a new game and activated the Alien ruleset, it asked to turn on the tileset which I said yes. The new game began and I could see alien stuff in a hex map, managed to activate music too.

However I couldn't for the life of me activate your gorgeous Alien isometric terrain set. Alio appears in the hex drop down list but there's no alio option in the isometric drop down list. In fact if I even try to select any of the default iso sets it ignores me as the game seems locked into hex mode (I can still change hex sets around). The mod loader mentions Alio includes hex & iso, plus there's that gorgeous screenshot above so I know it's there somewhere haha. How do I activate it? Or is it not compatible with the latest version of FreeCiv.

I also noticed that the cool looking scifi cities and units from the above photo weren't there either. I just had regular Civ units and the city graphic was Roman.

I'm guessing it could be a version issue and I still have my older 2.5.11 install so I ran the modpack downloader on that and the tool crashed just as it was installing your mods but I could see a message in the progress area about an SSL cert problem - unable to get local user cert if that means anything? But anyway there goes that idea lol.

Is there a 'sweet spot' version of FreeCiv I should try to get results like the cool screenshot above?

Blake's Sanctum: Retro site for retro games! Civ, MoM, C&C, Dune, HoMM, B5, Star Trek, Doom, TES & more!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

No, the SLalien tileset was never released to the public, for I didn't even try to chase art authors to put their work under GPL license. The isohex tileset alio is the only alien ruleset compatible tileset there currently is.