new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
ngunjaca
Veteran

new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Post by ngunjaca »

This is a blog of mine where i will be posting my mod creation progress:
http://freeciv-mod.blogspot.com/
There are links to some files I worked on like the overview of new Tech Tree (separate new Tech Tree for Tribal Age) and new units.
Feel free to browse and comment.
So far I am developing only the Tribal Age part of the mod which I would like to finish this month.

EDIT:
I will be posting last versions of the mod on this first post from now on.
Changes in 0.95 version:
Fixed shadows for units
Replaced Writing for Paper (paper was earliest invented 2nd century B.C.)
Added tech requirement for Workers
Added one more worker from game start
Reduced sciencebox to 80 (you can always change that before starting a game)

Changes in 0.97 version:
Added transparency to water in Dugout Canoes unit
Replaced Bronze Working tech for Polytheism
Renamed Trade tech to Barter
Fixed a "bug" in unit classes (thnx to Caedo) for Small Sea class
Tweaked the gov.tribal gfx to have the hut top centered
Tribal has no martial law enforcement (I cannot imagine warriors going aroaund the tribe enforcing peace and order)
Stonehenge and Venus Stautette have Continent effect range instead of Player
Polytheism doubles Temple effect (from 1 content citizen to 2)

Changes in 1.5 version:
Ancient units are added to the mod - in total there are 14 units for this era
Buildings GFX for stables, public bath, watchtower, stoneworks and tax office are added
Tech Tree for the ancient era is entered into the mod but the effects are still not finished (only buildings.spec file is edited)

Version 2.0 should be playable throughout tribal and ancient era.
Attachments
nextended-1.5.zip
nextended mod 1.5
(275.84 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
Last edited by ngunjaca on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:44 am, edited 6 times in total.
louis94
Hardened

Re: new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Post by louis94 »

Looks promising !

Here are some suggestions for the tech tree :
* Add "General relativity" as a requirement for both "Nuclear fission", GPS and maybe "Advance Balistics"
* Move "Particle physics" to the early 20th century or add "Quantum mecanics" there
* Make "Particle physics" a requirement for "Nuclear Fission", "Fusion Power" and maybe Transistors
* Add "Large Hardon Collider" as a great marvel requiring both particle physics and relativity, giving research bonus to universities

Louis
gm1530

Post by gm1530 »

Very interesting the new Tech Tree for Tribal Age!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Which freeciv version you are using/targeting?
Sarilho1

Post by Sarilho1 »

It's great, but it would be more accurate if you give define epochs by ages (like initially), instead of centuries, because it would be incompatible with the game timeline.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Louis thank you for the ideas. This is exactly what i need now, some brainstorming to pile up material and information for later polishing.

Cazfi i am currently using the 2.4 beta version, but as the ideas and new features of 2.5 branch look very promising I am thinking a little bit ahead and do some stuff which could be incorporated later e.g. the new resource options in 2.5 will be interesting.
Sarilho1 the centuries were only used for me as sort of guidelines so that i know where to put certain techs.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

ngunjaca wrote:new features of 2.5 branch look very promising I am thinking a little bit ahead and do some stuff which could be incorporated later e.g. the new resource options in 2.5 will be interesting.
For checking new ruleset modding possibilities in 2.5, you may find these documents useful.
http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_up ... 2.4_to_2.5

http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Editing_rulesets has new 2.5 requirement types and effect types marked as such.

Note that we're already developing 2.6 while 2.5 is stabilizing in its own branch.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

I have updated the blog with the units list for Tribal Age, updated the Tribal Age Tech Tree and submitted a list of Techs with their effects.

For my new mod I am trying to figure out how the setup the working speed of workers and engineers. Apparently the engineers work as twice as fast as workers but where is this encoded? Is it the "Transform" Flag or is it simply regulated through the move rate? I assume it is the move rate but it would be nice to get some confirmations.

Does anyone has any suggestions for Tribal Age buildings?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Settler actions time is defined in movement points, so faster the unit, faster it works. All movement bonuses apply as working speed bonuses too - one may want to enable veterancy system movement bonuses for workers while they are often bad idea for military units.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

ok got it
Now my idea was that by the invention of wheel and craftsmanship the workers perform actions slightly faster (the wheel enabled the building of wheelbarrows and craftsmanship enabled people to build better tools). So my idea was to raise the move rate of workers by 1/3 of move point. Now this cannot be done through the Move_Bonus as it accepts only integer numbers (as far as i tested it). So my idea is that i have a Workers class defined in the units.ruleset and an effect which will give workers class veteran status, which in the end gives 1/3 of the move points to them and consequently enables them to perform their work slightly faster. Of course this will enable them to move faster but this should not have and major adverse effects.