Default Ruleset Unit number cap

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Default Ruleset Unit number cap

Post by ngunjaca »

I am playing currently freevic, medium large map, with version 2.4. Beta, and RC1. I have noticed at some point that my cities are not able to produce any more units. The map is populated with lots of units, only I have about 1500 units, and other AI players have also a substantial amount of units. Is there a limit/cap which is set somewhere in the rulesets which limits the unit numbers of all players together?
Well if someone knows this stuff it would be nice to know how these things are set up.
JTN
Elite

Re: Default Ruleset Unit number cap

Post by JTN »

ngunjaca wrote:I am playing currently freevic, medium large map, with version 2.4. Beta, and RC1. I have noticed at some point that my cities are not able to produce any more units.
What is the production surplus of your cities? (Where it says "Prod: 20 (+0)" in the city dialog.)
My guess is that your cities are using all their production on upkeep of your existing units, so there is no surplus left to create new ones.
ngunjaca wrote:The map is populated with lots of units, only I have about 1500 units, and other AI players have also a substantial amount of units. Is there a limit/cap which is set somewhere in the rulesets which limits the unit numbers of all players together?
For completeness: there is currently a limit of 65535 on the total number of units and cities in play. But I think you'd know if you hit that, because I think the server would have quit unceremoniously. So I don't think that's your problem.

There's no cap (that I'm aware of) which would cause your cities to simply fail to produce units while the game carries on.

(I have seen a game with >38k units and >2200 cities in play. It was a monster. We could look at lifting that limit, but it would increase network traffic for everyone.)
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

JTN wrote:
ngunjaca wrote:I am playing currently freevic, medium large map, with version 2.4. Beta, and RC1. I have noticed at some point that my cities are not able to produce any more units.
What is the production surplus of your cities? (Where it says "Prod: 20 (+0)" in the city dialog.)
My guess is that your cities are using all their production on upkeep of your existing units, so there is no surplus left to create new ones.
Well, my government is Federation - i am playing using the civ2civ3 ruleset from cazfi (maybe this is the problem??) - there is plenty of +production in cities as the units are using gold upkeep. All players have researched all techs if it this makes any impact(the space race begun with building the Apollo Program wonder).
JTN wrote:
ngunjaca wrote:The map is populated with lots of units, only I have about 1500 units, and other AI players have also a substantial amount of units. Is there a limit/cap which is set somewhere in the rulesets which limits the unit numbers of all players together?
For completeness: there is currently a limit of 65535 on the total number of units and cities in play. But I think you'd know if you hit that, because I think the server would have quit unceremoniously. So I don't think that's your problem.
Yep, that is not the problem, i went into editing mode to check unit numbers of all AI players and when summed up it comes to 3k which is way bellow the 65k limit.
JTN wrote:There's no cap (that I'm aware of) which would cause your cities to simply fail to produce units while the game carries on.

(I have seen a game with >38k units and >2200 cities in play. It was a monster. We could look at lifting that limit, but it would increase network traffic for everyone.)
well if someone else got this problem jump into the discussion
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Do you have savegame you could send us for testing this?
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

ok figured it out by myself.
the story goes like this:
i was playing around with the effects.ruleset where i wanted to define higher number of building slots for cities with factories and mfg plants (the default was 2 for cities with mfg plants and 1 for ordinary cities). I temporarily placed the ";" symbol where the ruleset defined the basic City_Build_Slots while i continued with experimenting the other features. When i deleted my code with which i was not satisfied i forgot to remove the ";" symbol from the default settings so the ruleset actually reduced the available slots to zero. I re-installed the civ2civ3 ruleset and now the cities are again producing units.
anyway thank you guys, now i know how much units is the maximum for freeciv