my wishlist

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
djconklin
Veteran

my wishlist

Post by djconklin »

Have a screen which lists all of the variables* in the game and let us set the values.

* I'd prefer not to have any constants in the game.
Ĩmhotep

Re: my wishlist

Post by Ĩmhotep »

djconklin wrote:Have a screen which lists all of the variables* in the game and let us set the values.

* I'd prefer not to have any constants in the game.
I know this in not complete by far, but, in the clients chat window there is a line from where can issue commands.

Type /show (note the slash at the beginning).

There are a lot of parameters that don't make sense to alter when the game has started, though.
syntron

Post by syntron »

there is also the possibility to use the client options dialog (Game => Options => ...)
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

>There are a lot of parameters that don't make sense to alter when the game has started, though.

Yeah, I found that!
===
I find it interesting that I can set the AI at novice and I get my butt kicked! And quickly too!! Suugestion: instead of an AI setting with labels, use a number. One way it can be done is to say that the higher the number the greater the handicap the AI has--so then the question would be for the players: how high can you go?
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Would it be possible to modify the game so that one could study an era in far more detail?

For instance, Paradox makes a series of historical games ranging from the 1490's through the Victorian era to WW2. Part of what makes it interesting is the amount of detail one can go into in research--especially WW2 era.

===

Secondly, can reserach be set, say, per city so that multiple lines of study can be done simultaneously?
Ĩmhotep

Post by Ĩmhotep »

djconklin wrote:Would it be possible to modify the game so that one could study an era in far more detail?

For instance, Paradox makes a series of historical games ranging from the 1490's through the Victorian era to WW2. Part of what makes it interesting is the amount of detail one can go into in research--especially WW2 era.
You can create your own modpack, that is, a set of rules, possibly including new units and improvements.
See http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Editing_rulesets .

You can start by making a copy of an existing modpack (in your feeciv directory, take a look at the sub-directories civ1 or civ2.
But please don't change the original ones, work on a copy.
No one will be able to help you if you report bugs that result from accidentally modifying the original rulesets.

And there were heavy changes in the rulesets lately, so before you start a big work, be sure to start with the latest version.
See http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_up ... 2.4_to_2.5 .
djconklin wrote: Secondly, can reserach be set, say, per city so that multiple lines of study can be done simultaneously?
I think this would be very expensive to implement, lot of code would have to be changed for very little gain.
And you would end up with a research-page for every city. I don't think you really want that.

And it is already possible to have more than one advance per turn, provided your science output per turn is big enough and the advances are cheap.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

djconklin wrote:Would it be possible to modify the game so that one could study an era in far more detail?
Core mechanics of the game are what they are, so you cannot have more detailed view like different currencies for different nations, for example. But if you just want to have more techs or units of certain era, it's possible by creating your own ruleset. For example there's Ancients ruleset that has none of the modern technologies, but more detailed ancient times. http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Editing_Rulesets
milsu

Post by milsu »

Ok, maybe better to post in this topic than to open another one for my wishlist.

1. Bring back the old good tribute paying.
2. Bring back the option of asking an AI player to attack another AI, and make a new option of asking an AI player to make peace or alliance with another AI.
3. Make history maps of players' cities and borders, like it was in the original game.
4. Make a new type of political relationships, called "Federation", which would be an enhanced alliance, with sharing some resources, like research, economy, political state with other players, wonders, etc.
5. Make a new type of political relationships, called "Vassal", in which the vassal player must follow your orders.
6. Make it more easy to sign a peace after war.
7. Make a new feature called "Ethnic Group", in which every nation will be related to its ethnic group. So, when you build a new city, all citizens belong to your ethnic group. But, if someone else captures your city and grows it up, then new citizens are from their ethnic group not yours. Ethnic groups in cities should affect peace in that city, depending on your political relationship with their original nation.
8. Make cannons, artillery, and howitzers can attack ships, like it is in real life. Make vehicles can't move through forest, as they actually can't in real life.
9. Make diplomats and spies cannot bribe bombers if they are in the air, as it is too funny.
10. Make military losses affect their city population, as we must be aware what happens when people die in wars.

Please. :)
milsu

Post by milsu »

Could you please make fortification available for aircraft and ships and engeneers? It is so annoying when I have to click "S" every time some foreign freight or spy passes by my plane or ship.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I have a lot wish things... But, to me the most important one is the "Settings" one. I don't play to kill everybody, but how to be the first in the class. So I start a lot of new games and it gets a little frustrating having to go thru all those "More Game Options". I save them, and it tells me that those settings have being saved in that deep folder (.freeciv) -notice the dot. But when I go there I can't find anything. Much less how to call back those settings in a new game.
It's there a way?