New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
cazfi
Elite

Re: New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Post by cazfi »

Freeciv-proper has stable savegame formats for each version, and backward compatibility between these is guaranteed. Freeciv-2.6 will be able to load freeciv-2.5 saves, and freeciv-3.0 will be able to load freeciv-2.6 saves (as well as freeciv-2.5, freeciv-2.4, and freeciv-2.3 saves). Freeciv-web on the other hand uses development revisions between these stable formats. We try not to unnecessarily break compatibility with older development revisions, but a couple of times a year there's a situation where implementing the migration path between old and new development revision would be too much work, to take too much time away from implementing more important things.
yog

Post by yog »

I have a Samsung Chromebook. My games will save 3-5 times, and then the saves no longer show up when I want to load it up.
jss

Post by jss »

AndreasR wrote:
jss wrote:I had a game in progress when the new save system was rolled out. Now I am stuck. I can load the previous save using the "Load Old Savegames". However when I try to save it, I get a new message saying "Game Saved", but it isn't saved. I get the Save game pop up with the message " You can save your current game here..." but the game doesn't get saved. Also the message "Waring: You have not logged in using a user account with password. (Warning is misspelled.) Where do I log in? When I tried to create an account, I get a message that the create account failed. When I try again, I get a message that the email address has already been used. But I still don't see where I am supposed to log in.
Thanks
John
Can you please send me the username that you tried to sign up with?

I will make some improvements based on your feedback.
My user id is jss
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

yog wrote:I have a Samsung Chromebook. My games will save 3-5 times, and then the saves no longer show up when I want to load it up.
Do you have some more information about this? I see that you currently have 2 savegames. Many of your savegames were deleted, from looking at the logs. Do you still have this problem?

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

jss wrote:
AndreasR wrote:
jss wrote:I had a game in progress when the new save system was rolled out. Now I am stuck. I can load the previous save using the "Load Old Savegames". However when I try to save it, I get a new message saying "Game Saved", but it isn't saved. I get the Save game pop up with the message " You can save your current game here..." but the game doesn't get saved. Also the message "Waring: You have not logged in using a user account with password. (Warning is misspelled.) Where do I log in? When I tried to create an account, I get a message that the create account failed. When I try again, I get a message that the email address has already been used. But I still don't see where I am supposed to log in.
Thanks
John
Can you please send me the username that you tried to sign up with?

I will make some improvements based on your feedback.
My user id is jss
There is no user in the database called 'jss', and I can't find any error messages in the logs to indicate what went wrong.
Could you please try again to create a new user account? Perhaps try a different e-mail address?
If you get an error message, then please give the exact error message.

I see that you have managed to create many savegames on November 6 and 9th, with the name 'jss' without an account with a password.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

There are now 727 users who have created 5471 savegames in Freeciv-web on the new savegame system. I think this is a good sign!
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

Improvements:

Sort the games list such that the most recently saved game is at the bottom of the list.
Pre-select (not load) the most recently saved game.
Set focus on the Load button.
Shrink the size of the load window, I can not view the whole window at once.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

ru4it wrote:Improvements:

Sort the games list such that the most recently saved game is at the bottom of the list.
I have released an update now, which fixes the suggestions you have here.
There are now 11126 savegames on the Freeciv-web server.

Andreas
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

AndreasR wrote:
ru4it wrote:Improvements:

I have released an update now, which fixes the suggestions you have here.
There are now 11126 savegames on the Freeciv-web server.

Andreas

Thank you.

This is so much better. The only thing I noticed is that although the most recently saved game was selected, the list was not scrolled so that the selected game was in view.
yog

Post by yog »

AndreasR wrote:
yog wrote:I have a Samsung Chromebook. My games will save 3-5 times, and then the saves no longer show up when I want to load it up.
Do you have some more information about this? I see that you currently have 2 savegames. Many of your savegames were deleted, from looking at the logs. Do you still have this problem?

Andreas

Everything seems to be working fine now. THanks.