New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Post by AndreasR »

ru4it wrote:I just tried again using "rush" as the username. The error "Creating new user failed."
Can you please try again with a different password? The special characters in the password is causing the problem. I will fix this in the next version.

Thanks for reporting this! Feel free to report more bugs! This is making the game better.

Andreas
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

AndreasR wrote:
ru4it wrote:I just tried again using "rush" as the username. The error "Creating new user failed."
Can you please try again with a different password? The special characters in the password is causing the problem. I will fix this in the next version.

Thanks for reporting this! Feel free to report more bugs! This is making the game better.

Andreas
Giving a hint as to what is acceptable would help (up front before someone makes an entry). I had to try ru4it as a username before an error message let me know only alpha. I tried 3 times to capitalize the username before it became obvious it wasn't a typing error on my part. Now I know special characters are not allowed in password, but how about capitol letters and numbers? Still don't know!
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

I have now created an username and password successfully :D .

Only to discover the username must match the ruler name in order to play my old saved games, which it currently doesn't.

I have picked a different ruler name every time I start a new game. It is part of the fun (Ceasar, Patton, Fox ...). Also notice I capitalize those names. Not sure if I create a fox account if it will let me play my Fox game?!??

I think the username should not relate to the ruler or a lot of potential King Tuts will be disappointed.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

ru4it, thanks. I'll look into fixing this.

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

What is the general feeling about the new savegame system now? What are the MOST important things to improve? Is the new system better than the previous yet? 8-)
jss

Post by jss »

I had a game in progress when the new save system was rolled out. Now I am stuck. I can load the previous save using the "Load Old Savegames". However when I try to save it, I get a new message saying "Game Saved", but it isn't saved. I get the Save game pop up with the message " You can save your current game here..." but the game doesn't get saved. Also the message "Waring: You have not logged in using a user account with password. (Warning is misspelled.) Where do I log in? When I tried to create an account, I get a message that the create account failed. When I try again, I get a message that the email address has already been used. But I still don't see where I am supposed to log in.
Thanks
John
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

jss wrote:I had a game in progress when the new save system was rolled out. Now I am stuck. I can load the previous save using the "Load Old Savegames". However when I try to save it, I get a new message saying "Game Saved", but it isn't saved. I get the Save game pop up with the message " You can save your current game here..." but the game doesn't get saved. Also the message "Waring: You have not logged in using a user account with password. (Warning is misspelled.) Where do I log in? When I tried to create an account, I get a message that the create account failed. When I try again, I get a message that the email address has already been used. But I still don't see where I am supposed to log in.
Thanks
John
Can you please send me the username that you tried to sign up with?

I will make some improvements based on your feedback.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

As freeciv-web does not use stable freeciv savegame formats, between which conversions would work, but follows development version with frequent compatibility breaks, a year old savegame would be incompatible anyway.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

There are now 439 users who have saved a game using the new savegame system, using 129MB on the server. We are 1471 registered users. I will therefore remove the old savegame system very soon.

My impression is that most users are understanding of the fact that sometimes the savegame system or format will be changed in such a way that it breaks old savegames. This is the price of progress. Freeciv-web is not for playing the same game for 10 years.
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

cazfi wrote:As freeciv-web does not use stable freeciv savegame formats, between which conversions would work, but follows development version with frequent compatibility breaks, a year old savegame would be incompatible anyway.
What has been happening to savegames saved minutes before a compatibility breaking change is made?

I'm assuming you have been providing a migration path in those cases instead of telling players to bad, so sad, you're game is over. So if the game version that creates a savegame is saved as part of the savegame, the migration process could be maintained for a years worth of compatibility breaking changes.

Or loading an older game could trigger a switch to the older version of the server and client (for up to a years worth of compatibility breaking versions).

Note: There might be dozens of versions made in a year, but only compatibility breaking ones would need be considered. That is to say 8 versions in a row may be compatible as far as savegames are concerned, but the ninth version breaks. Then versions 1-8 would use the same migration path to 9 or they would switch to version 8 of the server and client.