New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Post by AndreasR »

The new savegame system for Freeciv-web has been released to the production server now.
Savegames are stored on the server for 365 days, rather than in HTML5 localstorage. I hope that the new savegame system will be more reilable.

Update: The old savegame system is now completely removed. Contact me directly at andrearo AT pvv.ntnu.no if you really want to recover one of your old savegames.

Please report any bugs or suggestions!
Last edited by AndreasR on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ru4it

Re: New savegame system for Freeciv-web

Post by ru4it »

I appreciate your working to improve this game experience. But one of the big pluses for me in the freeciv-web game was that the games could be saved and managed on my local machine.

I used to play Evony online. It is a multiplayer game somewhat like freeciv. But being as it is a multiplayer game with no defined end, meant it ruled my life. I finally stopped playing it when I took a 3 week trip to visit my daughter and while I was away from the game for those 3 weeks all but 1 of my cities was destroyed and the last city was totally pillaged (in Evony they can't take your last city from you).

I have an email account which I used for any online purchases. I stored all pertinent correspondence there. The account has a policy of deleting all your saved emails if you don't sign in for 30 days. When my wife had hip replacement surgery I lost all those saved emails.

My point is I have reasons to want to walk away from things for extended periods but still wish to return to find things intact. :oops: It was > 60 days before I logged into my email account.
Horace

Post by Horace »

I have some comments on the new savegame system:

1) When I hit "customize" a line that what looks like it might be a warning flashes by much too quickly for me to read.

2) I have not yet managed to actually save a game using the new savegame system.

3) Sometimes I have a limited amount of time available. Also, towards the end of my games, moves become time consuming for me as I tend to have a lot of cities and sometimes am maneuvering a lot of military units. Therefore I sometimes want to make part of a move, save my progress, and come back to the game later. It looks like that would be impossible under the new system.

4) Sometimes I will pause a game for a few months. It looks like this too would be impossible under the new system.

"Horace"

addendum

5) The new user login seems to change upper case letters into lower case.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the feedback. I will fix all the bugs you have reported! Please report any more bugs you might find.

Also: The savegames will be kept of the server for 365 days. I changed that based on the feedback from you. I will monitor the disk usage for savegames to make sure that we're not using up all the harddisk over time.
Horace

Post by Horace »

Saving and retrieving a game is working for me now.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have fixed the feedback reported so far, and released a new version. Feel free to post more feedback on the savegame system.
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

After seeing that you have expanded the retention to a year I decided to create an account. But I'm unable to do it.

The user name is restricted to alphabetic characters only but there is no hint until you try to create a name with a number in it.

After selecting an username with alpha only it tries to create the account but then reports the create failed.

Also note the create screen is larger than my screen, so I have to do a series of double clicks to zoom in and out to get the buttons to move into view.

One more thought, the password I am trying contains non alphanumeric characters. Could this be the problem?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

ru4it wrote:After seeing that you have expanded the retention to a year I decided to create an account. But I'm unable to do it.

The user name is restricted to alphabetic characters only but there is no hint until you try to create a name with a number in it.

After selecting an username with alpha only it tries to create the account but then reports the create failed.

Also note the create screen is larger than my screen, so I have to do a series of double clicks to zoom in and out to get the buttons to move into view.

One more thought, the password I am trying contains non alphanumeric characters. Could this be the problem?
Which error message do you get? If you could post the username you try to register, then I can check the logs.

Can you please try again now?

Can you also post a screenshot?

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

So far 221 users have saved using the new savegame system. There could still be some improvements needed, so please report any bugs!
ru4it

Post by ru4it »

AndreasR wrote:
ru4it wrote:After seeing that you have expanded the retention to a year I decided to create an account. But I'm unable to do it.

Which error message do you get? If you could post the username you try to register, then I can check the logs.

Can you please try again now?

Can you also post a screenshot?

Andreas

I just tried again using "rush" as the username. The error "Creating new user failed."