linearity tech tree

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
XYZ
Elite

linearity tech tree

Post by XYZ »

Surely Im not the first in posting this but it would be great if the tech tree would have more dead ends with (maybe) cheaper technology that in the long run doesn't bring you further but that brings you a tactical advantage with new units for example (crosbow shooters, zeppelins etc.)
The demand for new units and what the main problem is was/is discussed here: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... lins#p4935
It would also acknowledge that different regions took different paths in developing technology. The Inkas didn't use -dispite their advancements- wheels or writings...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: linearity tech tree

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

You're kind of the exact opposite of me there - I like to not have any dead ends in my tech tree, though that's probably just my personal preference.

Still, I get where you're coming from. If the tech tree was more... let's call it "detailed", i.e. that there's a single technology for every little thing, I'd totally support your notion. However, since Freeciv's tech tree is rather simplified - Caravans are the same whether or not they have wagons, there's exactly two kinds of fighter jets and two kinds of bombers, a total of four different kinds of wooden ships, one settler unit throughout the entire game and so on and so forth - we should probably focus on the general technologies instead of fine specializations - and there aren't that many big technologies that aren't a basis upon which another technology is set.
~ AVL
archeologistfossils

Post by archeologistfossils »

I would like there to be a much longer and more highly detailed tech tree that offers more upgrades and bonuses so that the more I research, the more upgrades and bonuses I can get. I do not want some cheap %increase .0000001 improvement and have to research a million times to get the same small bonus over and over. I want really good bonuses. I also don't like "future tech" research because it doesn't do anything. I want to see my cities become advanced and futuristic looking, and I want to see little flying cars going around them. I also want to be able to switch to the alpha centauri map when it is reached and be able to switch back and forth and play both maps at once, maybe stop other Civs from reaching it, or leaving earth, or helping them get there, or trying to get there while they try to stop me. this means being able to build multiple space ships. Please!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
GET OFF MY SIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

I do not see foresee having multiple maps, much less multiple interactive maps on the same server. It would be a titanic undertaking to work that into the game's code. Of course, if you use custom tilesets and make rulesets you can just make planet 'islands' with 'space' tiles separating them in the editor, so that only 'space' units could travel between them.