adding a new terrain improvment

Do you want to help out with Freeciv development? Then check out this forum.
begre1929

adding a new terrain improvment

Post by begre1929 »

Hi,
it is possible to add a terrain improvment ?

(like "ancient mine" to "modern mine" or "irrigation" -> "farmland" -> "village", so on...)

why ? because i would like to "eye candy" my kingdom, for now I'm using transparent cities and I use some "special" ressources to make my cities and the rest of the kingdom more sexy...
Attachments
freeciv1.png
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: adding a new terrain improvment

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Well, we can already make different kinds of roads in the future versions(not sure if 2.4 or 2.5), so I think more versions of mines, irrigation etc. could be possible too. I haven't played freeciv for some time now, since I got into the rush of new games and coding mods for them, but I think I'll get back to freeciv again and see what I can do.
You can already create new bases(like fortress, buoy etc.), if that might help you.
~ AVL
begre1929

Post by begre1929 »

hi Caedo,
thx for the reply.

It is possible to allow building a base on a city square ?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

No, I don't think so. At least I can't find anything in 2.3 and 2.4. But maybe there's something only cazfi knows about, so we'd have to wait and see if he wants to reply here.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Freeciv-2.2 - Freeciv-2.4: You can define your own bases, but unfortunately bases cannot exist on city tile.
Freeciv-2.5: You can define your own roads, and you can control for each road and base if they can exist on city tile, are not modified on city tile, or are added automatically to city tile (like roads always have been added)
Freeciv-2.6: I'm working on just this ruleset configurable tile "extras" feature. All of irrigation, mines, pollution, fallout, roads, and bases are extras.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Perfect. Since there will probably be some time between now and 2.6, There is enough time to create a lot of stuff.
I think I'll make an extremely largepox-based ruleset where the city tile itself isn't that much, but you can actually build the city around it using improvements.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

It's at least one year to 2.5, and much longer for 2.6. Note that you can accomplish quite a lot with configurable bases already. Just add effects that have the base as local requirement. Oh, and 2.5 is improvement on that front in that you can have "city" range base requirements, so effects targeted to city (and not just to the tile) can depend on base being within city area.
begre1929

Post by begre1929 »

hi there,
I found a way but it's tricky... I edit the savegame file and add the base on the city tile.
freeciv2.png
the sprite of Annecy is a base (Château Marie too, but it's unseen). I also added some mills in my country :) ... village (formely city without name), city (like St. germain sur Lant) are not using bases yet.

I have a question about the base, in civilization 2, the airbase hid the airplanes presently on the tile, is it possible to do that in Freeciv ? I would like to hide my unit in the castles.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

begre1929 wrote:I found a way but it's tricky... I edit the savegame file and add the base on the city tile.
If this is with a pre-2.5 server, don't be too surprised if it crashes or otherwise misbehaves...
begre1929 wrote:I have a question about the base, in civilization 2, the airbase hid the airplanes presently on the tile, is it possible to do that in Freeciv ? I would like to hide my unit in the castles.
This isn't currently possible, although it's a reasonable feature request. I've raised the idea as gna patch #4101, although I've no plans to actually work on it.

For your ruleset, would you want there to be some indicator of the presence of units (like the "occupied city" sprite), or would they be completely hidden?
begre1929

Post by begre1929 »

If this is with a pre-2.5 server, don't be too surprised if it crashes or otherwise misbehaves...
I have freeciv 2.3.4
For your ruleset, would you want there to be some indicator of the presence of units (like the "occupied city" sprite), or would they be completely hidden?
the best (I think), would be to do like in civ2, a sprite for an empty base and a sprite for an occupied base.
This isn't currently possible, although it's a reasonable feature request. I've raised the idea as gna patch #4101, although I've no plans to actually work on it.
ok tomorrow I will download freeciv sources and take a look, if the code is clear enough for my skills I will give a try to work on it and uploading a patch if (when) I get something interesting.