List of rulesets?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Drachefly

List of rulesets?

Post by Drachefly »

Is there a list of notable rulesets besides those installed with the game? What are their goals, how extensive are they, etc.? I don't see a list, here or on the wiki. I have a rather low bar for notability, as long as it's interesting or well-done in some way - if you'd think 'Hmm, I'd like a ruleset that does X' and it's one of the rulesets that does X pretty well.

Though I'm generally curious, I'm particularly interested in minimal-changes rulesets for balance and fun. Particularly, nerfing early Republic, nerfing Republic and Democracy in general, ironclads, city walls, and diplomats. I have a few simple ideas of my own, but I'd rather not totally duplicate effort.
dunnoob
Elite

Re: List of rulesets?

Post by dunnoob »

Massive cheating, I added the missing Alien on the Wiki, a page for the Ancients already existed. The Fantasy and Modern stuff appears to be obsolete, and Stub is for ruleset editors, not for playing. For Alien better wait for 2.6 where it will have its own Alio tileset.

If you like 30x30 rectangular tilesets Ancients should work as described, otherwise you'd have a problem, AFAIK there is no Ampcients for any Freeciv version after 2.1 (vintage 2010). But maybe you can mod it yourself, the only difference are some units: Notably ancient marines are no ordinary marines in any tileset, otherwise the units could be simply merged.

Edited: Acually Alien World existed, it just needed a category.
Last edited by dunnoob on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

You can find some rulesets here also:

http://wikiwiki.jp/freeciv/?%C7%DB%C9%DB
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Thanks, added to the related links.

Google translations are hard to interpret, if I got the idea there used to be a nationality ruleset for 2.4 or earlier, and when Freeciv got its new "nationality"-tracking, the ruleset was renamed to empire for 2.5.

If you tested it, and it's a good ruleset, it should be added on the active projects page, or (better (?)) on the modpacks page. That requires a download URL (+ size in KB), a maintainer URL (apparently http://freeciv.blog.fc2.com/ but a name would be good), ideally some README URL (what is the ruleset about, and is it playable for folks who cannot read Japanese), and optionally some download directory URL with related stuff (older or newer versions, etc.).