letsdance's wishlist!

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
letsdance

letsdance's wishlist!

Post by letsdance »

1. change "cannot fortify" to "gets not benefit from being fortified". it's annoying to get my sentried units activated when i don't need them.

2. (highest priority for me) remove the function that lets you lose a tech if your research is negative (i just looked, that should be quite easy in techtools.c). the problem with this function is, that it makes the "penalty when getting tech" options unusable. get a free bronze working (with a minor penalty), but lose a random (possibly more expensive) tech because it put my science to negative for a round. even worse, it kills the great library. the great library gives you a free tech every round, but then you lose a random one, and your research is set to zero. this be an infinite loop, because the number of your known techs doesn't increase, so you often lose a tech that you get immediately back the next game turn. i don't know why the "lose tech if research is negative" was added (tech upkeep?) but i cannot imagine it's ever working without possibly causing game-killing problems. at least let me turn it off as an option.

3. let me turn off the "50 % production gained when disbanding a unit" feature. or let me modify that value. i would expect that in the economy game settings. as far as i remember original civ, this didn't exist. it worked only by using caravans for a wonder, and then switching production to another item (so you effectively got 50 % for disbanding caravans, but not for anything else). it would be nice as a modding option, to be able to to give units a "disband to get shields" ability.

4. (minor) it's a bit annoying that citymindist calculates square, instead of using a root formula light city sight radius. i guess it's working fine for hexgames, but not for sqare tile sets.

5. some ideas to make it easier for beginners:
5.a. somewhere tell people that you can get information by middle-clicking (help overview, help terrain, help combat). it's a great feature, but i didn't know until someone told me here in the forum when i asked about defense boni.
5.b. make "center on combat" the default option (it took me a while to figure out what i have to do to see my combats) and increase the default combat and move animation times to at least 200ms (better 300ms).

6. let me edit the reduction granted by techleakage (just a % modifier would be sufficient, but the coded modifier is too big for my taste). and/or add another techleakage option that adds a modifier (like 10 % per player) that is independent from total player number.

7. if techleakage is activated, show the reduced research cost in the research overview. for example, when the tech cost is 50 usually, but it has been reduced to 25 because of techleakage, it should display 0/25, or even better: 0/25 (50)

8. let me trigger an effect when researching a technology. for example, lets say i want philosophy to give a free tech to everyone, not just to the first who researches it. i could use the Give_Imm_Tech effect. but currently it seems i can't trigger it. if such a trigger exists it could also be used to move some stuff (like automatic railroad building in all cities when railroad is researched) to effects.ruleset.
dance!
cazfi
Elite

Re: letsdance's wishlist!

Post by cazfi »

letsdance wrote:2. (highest priority for me) remove the function that lets you lose a tech if your research is negative
In freeciv-2.4 bug #19487 solution disables tech loss in rulesets without tech upkeep. We couldn't do more on 2.4 with ruleset format freeze in place. For 2.5 and later patch #3193 added separate techlossforgiveness setting to control when tech loss happens.
Are these changes sufficient for you?
letsdance

Re: letsdance's wishlist!

Post by letsdance »

cazfi wrote:
letsdance wrote:2. (highest priority for me) remove the function that lets you lose a tech if your research is negative
In freeciv-2.4 bug #19487 solution disables tech loss in rulesets without tech upkeep. We couldn't do more on 2.4 with ruleset format freeze in place. For 2.5 and later patch #3193 added separate techlossforgiveness setting to control when tech loss happens.
Are these changes sufficient for you?
yes, thank you. i just read the NEWS-2.4.0 and came back here to say this has already been resolved =)
dance!