'Plague' is very confusing in the classic ruleset

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
fomalhaut

'Plague' is very confusing in the classic ruleset

Post by fomalhaut »

Plague is deactivated in the classic ruleset and this is clearly indicated in city dialogues or help browser.
"illness deactivated in ruleset."
"Plague is a ruleset option, and is not enabled in the classic ruleset."

But it's incompatible with the description of Aqueduct and Sewer System.
"... and reduces the chance of plague within the city. "

Also there is "Plague" in the classic ruleset as disasters, so it's very difficult for beginners to understand.

My suggestions
* The description of Aqueduct and Sewer System should be rewritten.
* Plague should be removed from disasters.
Or, the name of Plague should be changed to another one (e.g. Cholera, Malaria or unknown virus).
JTN
Elite

Re: 'Plague' is very confusing in the classic ruleset

Post by JTN »

dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Cholera is fine, this could be tuned along the lines of minsize=10, present sewer system FALSE, and a higher chance to get this disaster.
Yes, it also confused me (shortly), my vague idea was to try flu, but cholera is better.

BTW, support for plague (= plague risk display) is apparently hardwired in clients, but there is no server option to enable it outside of what a ruleset says. OTOH migration is a server option, I can enable it when I feel like it, and generally I do (radius +3, 50% chance national, 10% global, frequency 5 turns; the experimental values are IMO too radical.) How about a server option also for plague? Of course it should work also for rulesets without hospital. Let alone rulesets with gene food without decent Monsanto momentum (all your farms are now deserts, oops.:twisted:)
fomalhaut

Post by fomalhaut »

What does "Plague" in Freeciv mean?
The plague(=Black Death), or some infectious disease?
In case particular diseases such as Cholera might also be confusing players,
other disasters such as Tornado or Drought may be suitable.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

fomalhaut wrote:What does "Plague" in Freeciv mean?
(DEnglish alert:) Black death aka Black Plague.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

From what I can see, one is supposed to be sanitation-based bacterial diseases that come from contaminated surroundings, especially drinking water(Cholera is the biggest one historically), while the disaster is more like a contagious epidemic like flu or black death that sweeps through from person to person, kills people, then mostly goes away when people start building up a resistance to it.
Eusebio Ptolomeu

Post by Eusebio Ptolomeu »

How exactly does plague work? I've enabled it in one of the rulesets, and now the game displays the plague probability in the city window, but I still don't know when a plague happens, or what effects it has in the game
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Eusebio Ptolomeu wrote:How exactly does plague work?
Should be obvious, the city shrinks (reduced population), and IIRC you get a message when it happens. If it never happens in your ruleset try experimental. Plague is one of the three reasons why I'm not playing with the experimental ruleset, IMNSHO Freeciv doesn't need even more randomness than it already has.

The other two reasons: "Dislike big land" if it doesn't allow me to fire on adjacent tiles, unfortunately "fire on" and "move to" are coupled. "Dislike monsanto", eating whales is bad enough. :( Hopefully the whales can move away in some future version, if they have had it with being abused as a resource and swimming in polluted coastal waters.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Eusebio Ptolomeu wrote:the game displays the plague probability in the city window, but I still don't know when a plague happens
You need to spend around 30 seconds thinking about this :)
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...