Windows testing

Freeciv builds other than releases, for people to test.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Windows testing

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:There's a new msys1 Windows Installer build from S2_5 branch r32400. This build already contains most of the fixes that eventual 2.5.4 release is expected to have: http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... .3+r32400/
New S2_5 build with a couple of more fixes: http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... .3+r32559/
There's draft NEWS-2.5.4 at http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/NEWS-2.5.4
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Sorry to inform:
* r21464 launches OK but queries to the server -the / thing. It throws you back to the very first window.
* it doesn't accepts either the 'choose nation' in its window. Same result.
* Something that I didn't quite understand just hangs the game with 'program does not answer'.
Does running server separately give any better results?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Dat is ze problem...
I don't know how to launch the client (the game) from the server. That is with my chosen settings.

Otherwise,
I just tried the 2.5.3 r32559 and is running quite nice.
Also, the 2.5.9 r32098 seems more stable. Which makes me ask a simple question: Should I run the modpack before starting a new and first game, as I had mixed results with that.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Dat is ze problem...
I don't know how to launch the client (the game) from the server. That is with my chosen settings.
In the Windows start menu you should have both the client (the named just 'freeciv', at least in some setups) and the server. Run them both. Server should open text console (it runs in a DOS-prompt). Following is what I get in my linux when launching server (just to make sure you know the server when you see it - you don't need to understand what it says just yet)

Code: Select all

Encodings: Data=UTF-8, Local=UTF-8, Internal=UTF-8
This is the server for Freeciv version 2.6.0-alpha
You can learn a lot about Freeciv at http://www.freeciv.org/
2: Loading rulesets.
2: AI*1 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*2 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*3 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*4 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: AI*5 has been added as Easy level AI-controlled player (classic).
2: Now accepting new client connections on port 5556.

For introductory help, type 'help'.
> 
From the client main menu, choose "Connect to Network Game" (that is: connect to running server instead of launching one internally). That should open connection dialog where you can select "localhost" as the server Host and "5556" (by default) as the server Port (also seen in the server output above). Then click "Connect".
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:2.5.9
While it's several versions since we got 9 bugfix releases, we did have 2.0.10 for example. So there might be 2.5.9 some day. That's why our development versions (of the next version) usually have '99'. Current trunk has special value also for 'minor' version; 2.91.99 (for the first year of development it was 2.90.99)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I can confirm the problem with single player: When connecting to a local server (started seperately or single player), you don't automatically get 'hack' privileges. The exact message in single player is 'Failed to obtain the required access level to take control of the server. Attempting to shut down server.' When starting the server seperately, the default cmdlevel (even for localhost) is 'basic'.
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

A mistake made: When I wrote '2.5.9' it should had read '2.5.99-r32098'.

But now I'm fighting with 2 versions of 2.6.0 r32414 and r32464.
1) r32414: the server launches OK but the client doesn't get beyond DOS splash, I checked the Task Manager and there isn't a Trace of Freeciv.
2) r32464: this one seems to work better but I haven't gone beyond the main chat menu. I'm launching it as I write this post.

(few minutes later...)
Without changing any options, I clicked the start button and I got as far as the game itself!
But I won't go any further because the default settings don't please me at all.
And then:
I type in the Chat window '/read c:\...\.freeciv\freeciv-client-rc-2.6' ? the server tells me that it is "disallowed for security reasons".
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:I type in the Chat window '/read c:\...\.freeciv\freeciv-client-rc-2.6' ? the server tells me that it is "disallowed for security reasons".
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but there's at least confusion between client settings and game rules. The freeciv-client-rc-2.6 file is client-side settings (those you adjust from client Game -> Options -> Local Client and for example from the View -menu, and can save from Game -> Options -> Save Options Now). The server "/read" command tries to read something for the server (usually adjusting game rules)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Well, I save my settings in "my_settings-2.x.x.serv" in the .freeciv folder. I have been doing this up to the 2.5.3 versions.
Like that, after launching 'New Game' and I get to the chat window I call my_settings-2.x.x.serv with the /read command and I get all my modifications.

With the 2.6 versions, when I try this /read command, it throws me back to the first window. In fact, with a simple command like changing map size, I get thrown out. But I'm fighting this as I writing this notes and hope to make some startling progress.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Well, I save my settings in "my_settings-2.x.x.serv" in the .freeciv folder. I have been doing this up to the 2.5.3 versions.
Ok, that makes sense. In the previous post you just weren't reading my_settings-2.x.x.serv but the client settings file.

I've already fixed a number of regressions caused by the recent Windows builds change (the one which motivated me to do the new test build). I'll try to get build with these fixes out in a couple of days.