boooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnngggg....

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Daugh1964

boooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnngggg....

Post by Daugh1964 »

hi,
I got the sources, compiled, installed...

then I started a game, I set minimal distance between two cities to 10. I thought it would be more challenging... I set 11 or 12 AI to cheater...

natives and barbarians to furious...

I started to play. ok, after some turns, natives unrest often which keep my armies quiet busy. Pirates annoys me and even took two cities of mine because I forgot to build units inside. It took time (turns) for me to take them back, because with ten cells far of my other cities, I had to build roads to bring catapults, who became canons before reaching the cities...

suprisingly I'm first in almost anything, bigger army, best in science, Ai didn't even build wonder.... more more disappointing is... the AI even at war with me, never release the hell over my land... so I have a question for you :

what is the difference between freeciv and simcity :
answer : freeciv is a turn based game... (ok, that was mean...)

well, the diplomacy is no interesting at all, almost no interaction...

ok I know there is something called human, who may want to kick my ass over internet (especially after this post), but I like to play against computer, when I want and how I want.... otherwise there is tons of mmo...

I know how hard is to code ai. Ones could not expect to code an human brain. I don't care if ai is cheating, the point is does it do it to entertain me ? you know my answer about freeciv...

when I felt bored, I checked the map.... the AI territories looks like a pile of crap.... almost no irrigation, no roads between towns. Many many towns took by pirates (wich means, at least those guys do their job)... tons of caravel wandering in the middle of nowhere sea... meanwhile I have submarine....

I started to think that party looks so lame, I took the decision to turn it to a wargasm (aka nuclear massive destruction), I edited my country to changing it to North Korea, calling all city of mine Camp #something then started to research nuclear stuffs to build A-H bomb and kill everyone...

but I just gave up the game...

so here four littles ideas :
1) put an option to make the pirates/natives harassing only humans, there is no real need to handicap the AIs (your skill code already do the job... <= THAT WAS VERY MEAN!!! but that was a joke I seriously don't mean it)
2) in the same way you spawn pirates/natives, spawn some task force during war against the AI with mission to release the fire of hell to human... like the english raids (cheuvauchee) did to the french, no need to cruch the task force right in the cities wall. make them pillaging, kicking workers, besieging towns... and sometime break the balls! I mean the walls!
3) about pirates, they do nice job, but they don't sunk ships at all... spawn some frigates close to humans towns where ships are, with mission to sunk them at first sight.... and if I disband a ship targeted by a frigate (or more than one... I'm kind hardcore...), disband the pirate ship too. If I break the blocus, just make the pirate running after the ship....
4) making the ai doing blocus with ships during war would be interesting too...

ok so I know those ideas would take time to code, so I will check around 2025....

see you!
cazfi
Elite

Re: boooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnngggg....

Post by cazfi »

Daugh1964 wrote:I set minimal distance between two cities to 10. I thought it would be more challenging...
It's quite possible that this makes the game extremely challenging... for the AI, which is known not to adapt well to some non-default game setups. (Not that it ever plays well against human player who knows the game genre well ... as for people who do not know 4x; these forums have many threads from people furious about AI being "completely impossible to beat")
uncivilizedplayer

Re: boooooorrrrriiiiiinnnnnngggg....

Post by uncivilizedplayer »

min distance 10 is too high (and thats coming from someone who hates small pox)

If you want a nice game use experimental AI hard , experimental ruleset, citydistance 3 or 4 is fine, towns can grow really big (100) in that ruleset, and pull citizens in from enemy kingdoms, its the best way to kill competition, build a fortress in their territory, then found your own city on that fortress, then grow it with settlers (add to city) and watch the foreigners come to your luxurious state.