Feedback on Freeciv-web wanted!

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Feedback on Freeciv-web wanted!

Post by AndreasR »

Your feedback on Freeciv-web is wanted, so I know what to focus further development and improvements on.
In order to make the game better, please post the most important things that you would like to see improved here.
If there are multiple things, then put them in a list with the most important things first. Thanks!
Elder Grendel

Re: Feedback on Freeciv-web wanted!

Post by Elder Grendel »

I've noticed a couple of things:

The first thing is that I think Freeciv-web is a completely awesome thing. Thanks. A lot.

On to the list of troubles, though...

Rather often in the second city I build there will be a number of tiles where the resource usage is not shown in the city display.

The other, rather serious issue, is that the game saves don't work after using the [Meet Player] button.
(This is mentioned in this thread, http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=789 , which I have added a bit of information to.)

The Game Setup dialog box does not retain the changes to settings: Game title, Tech level, Landmass, Specials, City mindist, End turn, Score graphs, and Map generator.
The changes are set, but opening the Game Setup dialog a second time displays the default values rather then the previously entered values. This could cause great confusion for novice players or those who do not understand how the game setup works.

Oh, the other thing we have had an issue with is that, for some bizarre reason, on my son's low-memory old notebook machine, when he clicks the [Research] tab the machine lags terribly. Everything else works fine. It's just the Research tab.

The real show-stopper is the saved games issue. That's pretty nasty.

Thank you to those who created Freeciv-web. It's awesome!
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the feedback Elder Grendel. I have released a new version to the production server, which I think has solved the savegame issue, and showing city workers correctly near the map edges (map wrapping issue).

It would be nice if you could please test the new version, and verify that it has been improved. Thanks!
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

AndreasR wrote:Your feedback on Freeciv-web is wanted
The tutorial on the Wiki looks great. Otherwise I'm not tempted to test another online game with mobile broadband; I was on Illyriad for a year, after about two weeks my 5 GB per month plan at an acceptable speed was eaten up, the rest of the month at modem/GPRS speed was a pain.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Let's continue this thread: what should be improved in Freeciv-web now? Thanks to all for the feedback so far!
Lunchalot

Post by Lunchalot »

I'm very happy to have found freeciv. I'm sure I have played every Sid Meier version there is and its nice to get back to the roots. One bug that has happened a couple times. Just now, for instance, I put 4 units into attack position next to an AI city and the AI attacked with an alpine troop who killed ALL 4 of my units on that square. Just one attack and the message was: "Riflemen and 3 other units lost to an attack from the Uzbec Alpine Troops."

Fortunately the save feature works so I'll go back a couple of turns and do things different, ie: do not stack troops as it doesn't work when AI attacks. There are a few other things that could be improved but this is the major fault I have found.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Lunchalot wrote:I'm very happy to have found freeciv. I'm sure I have played every Sid Meier version there is and its nice to get back to the roots. One bug that has happened a couple times. Just now, for instance, I put 4 units into attack position next to an AI city and the AI attacked with an alpine troop who killed ALL 4 of my units on that square. Just one attack and the message was: "Riflemen and 3 other units lost to an attack from the Uzbec Alpine Troops."

Fortunately the save feature works so I'll go back a couple of turns and do things different, ie: do not stack troops as it doesn't work when AI attacks. There are a few other things that could be improved but this is the major fault I have found.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure that this is a game rule. Try googling for "Freeciv killstack", and see this forum thread.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Killstack is a ruleset option. Maybe we should change that for webperimental ruleset?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Even better. It's server option nowadays, so even user can change it. If freeciv-web UI does not provide way to change it, one can (in pre-game, before actually starting the game) change it via chat-line

Code: Select all

/set killstack disabled
Lunchalot

Post by Lunchalot »

Can anyone point me to a list of user options pre game, like the killstack option?

I would sure like to have bombard option, zoom in and out option, hover on enemy unit for stats option, click or hover on vacant tiles for stats, change colour of scrolling text in box, and toggle city names on and off to more easily see the terrain and action around the city.

These are just a few things on my wish list but the game is quite playable without them.