Play-By-Email support now in Freeciv-web

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Play-By-Email support now in Freeciv-web

Post by cazfi »

JTN wrote:
cazfi wrote:
dx486 wrote:Suggestion: My friend does not speak English and he wants Freeciv-web to be available in Turkish as well. Do you plan to import translations of Freeciv desktop to Freeciv web?
I've been doing some work to support switching language in freeciv-web server. However, even when the code gets there, we will have issues with the currency of the translations.
The Turkish translation hasn't been touched since 2.1. Stats in the last 2.5 release were 42% of core strings translated. Still, maybe better than nothing?
I just sent an email with current translation stats from freeciv TRUNK to i18n mailing list. It will soon be available from the archive https://mail.gna.org/public/freeciv-i18n/

Of the 'core' translation domain, the most complete translation is Polish with 89% translated, followed by Finnish (87%), French (86%) and Russian (86%). Turkish translation is at 33%.
Gedankenstein

Post by Gedankenstein »

garar wrote: 3. Diplomacy doesn't work, I can't make a treaty or anything with my friend. It looks like the game requires both players to be present at the same time. Can this be fixed? Or maybe is there a workaround?
This seems to be an issue still. I am playing a game with a friend and when clicking "Meet with...." on his nation, nothing happens. Is there a workaround? Will the issue be addressed?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Gedankenstein wrote:
garar wrote: 3. Diplomacy doesn't work, I can't make a treaty or anything with my friend. It looks like the game requires both players to be present at the same time. Can this be fixed? Or maybe is there a workaround?
This seems to be an issue still. I am playing a game with a friend and when clicking "Meet with...." on his nation, nothing happens. Is there a workaround? Will the issue be addressed?
I don't know if the web client part will need changes for this to work, but at least I've recently fixed the issue in desktop freeciv, including the server side that also freeciv-web uses. I'm also not sure if freeciv-web already has been updated to a new enough version of the freeciv server for the fixes to be there (I see what revision of the server freeciv-web currently uses, but I need to check in what revision I fixed the problem)
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

PBEM games in Freeciv-web do not support diplomacy, since the players play alternating turns, and are never connected to the same server at the same time.

Is diplomacy for offline pbem-players supported by the Freeciv server? This would involve modifying the Freeciv server so that it can manage diplomacy dialogs for players who are not connected to the server at the same time.
Gedankenstein

Post by Gedankenstein »

Yeah, I can see how it's impractical to have a standard diplomnacy dialogue via PBEM. This means PBEM players will be at war with each other throughout the game, at least formally.

Nice to have as a minimum: a way for PBEM players to negotiate change of war/peace/alliance.
dx486

Post by dx486 »

Some notes that I take during our current game:

1. I would like to easily see when I enter a city screen (as it is in Civ 2):

* Total resources of a city used actively by that city at the moment, and how it is being used (maintenance, unit/building production, growth progress, granary status etc)
* Detailed information about current production process (how many production "units" have been used so far and how many "units" are required to finish)
* When I change a tile's status (used or not used), estimation about finish time of current production should change accordingly (also growth). It does not happen.

2. Sometimes when I finish my turn I see research tree and it says "research is finished". It should show this message when I start my next turn, not at the end of the previous one. Otherwise I may forget about it.

3. It would be nice to have diplomacy options, like cease fire, peace, war, tribute etc.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

dx486, these are all good suggestions. Can you please give some more details about #1? Do you want a popup-window when you conquer a new city?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

dx486 wrote: 2. Sometimes when I finish my turn I see research tree and it says "research is finished". It should show this message when I start my next turn, not at the end of the previous one. Otherwise I may forget about it.
This has been fixed in the latest version. Please let me know if it works.

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

We are now 961 registered play-by-email players in Freeciv-web! The number of players in constantly increasing over time!

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

We are now 1030 players registered for play by email: https://play.freeciv.org/webclient/?action=pbem !