HTML5 game engine

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Hachitus

HTML5 game engine

Post by Hachitus »

Hello,

I am constructing my own HTML5 game engine for 2D strategy games. It is open source and I mostly wanted to create something that might make the HTML5 strategy game genre a bit more live. As I see it this is the genre that should be used a lot in web environment and should be very much alive in HTML5. But so far the only 2D turn-based "serious" games are pretty much freeciv and planets.nu, or at least the ones that I have drawn my inspiration and visions / needs from.

The engine is browser-side atm. but I plan to have at least limited version of server-side as open source too. I have some a prototype of this before, but decided to start over as fully modularized open source.

From my point-of-view I would mostly want to get some advice and help from the people who have been involved in creating freeciv. There are many challenges that have already been solved and you have a lot of experience on things that could speed up this project and make it more efficient. Naturally I would also be happy to have people on board to contribute, but for me as I have done 99% of the coding by myself, the lack of views, is the worst part, that hinders the progress.

From freecivs point-of-view I would like to help it actually but making the engine good enough, for you to be able to even switch to it in the future, if the engine needs an overhaul or there is a project for something similar, but that you can not use the freeciv base for that. Since I aim to make the engine as flexible and modularized as possible. Also i aim making the whole HTML5 2D turn-based strategy game scene a bit more lively with making the engine.

The actual project is here: https://github.com/Hachitus/warmapengine , but it is practically not finished for publication yet. Sure it's public code, but it's not in a stage that I have prepared to get other people on board yet. So if you look at it, bear with me :). It will still change name and repository before going "official".

I would be happy to contact someone specific also regarding this, if someone can point me to the right person. Thank you.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: HTML5 game engine

Post by AndreasR »

Hi Hachitus! Good luck with your HTML5 game engine. :)

If I could give you any advice, it would be to not create yet another HTML5 game engine, but instead join us in improving Freeciv-web. I think you will learn more and improve a game played by a lot more people by joining an existing project. New contributors to Freeciv-web are always welcome!

Andreas
Hachitus

Re: HTML5 game engine

Post by Hachitus »

AndreasR wrote:Hi Hachitus! Good luck with your HTML5 game engine. :)

If I could give you any advice, it would be to not create yet another HTML5 game engine, but instead join us in improving Freeciv-web. I think you will learn more and improve a game played by a lot more people by joining an existing project. New contributors to Freeciv-web are always welcome!

Andreas
Just to clarify, it's not "yet another HTML5 game engine" :). If that term doesn't make the idea clear, then we can call it game engine extension. So a template made on top of HTML5 game engine, to make different kind of 2D strategy games faster and easier. So the idea is not to make a game engine for one specific game, but for a game genre.

The offer to help with freeciv is quite interesting, but unfortunately my time is quite limited nowadays and I have choose where I use it.