Play-By-Email support now in Freeciv-web

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
kokomante

Re: Play-By-Email support now in Freeciv-web

Post by kokomante »

I'm about to start a game with a friend. We're really excited about it, as we used to be huge Civ 2 fans and played a sort of asynchronous multiplayer game back in the day... using floppy disks! (We were neighbours). Some years ago we played Civ 4 PBEM while we were living in different countries, which was cool, but required you to use the computer everyday even for short turns etc. The fact that we can play Freeciv on our phones if we want to makes it amazing, as sometimes you have a quick turn you can do while on the bus or waiting for someone, and you might reserve the long, eventful turns for the computer.

So I will definitely give you some feedback as soon as we start playing it!
kokomante

Post by kokomante »

I keep getting a "Creating new user failed" when I try to create a username to play PBEM :(

Am I doing anything wrong?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

kokomante wrote:I keep getting a "Creating new user failed" when I try to create a username to play PBEM :(

This is most likely a bug, sorry about that. I will fix it with å new version tomorrow.

Andreas
kokomante

Post by kokomante »

Thanks a lot Andreas.

Question, is it possible to use rulesets on the web version of Freeciv?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

kokomante wrote:Thanks a lot Andreas.

Question, is it possible to use rulesets on the web version of Freeciv?
Freeciv-web has two rulesets: fcweb (very similar to classic Freeciv ruleset), and webperimental (which is an experimental ruleset).
It does not support any other rulesets at the moment.

I've not yet been able to solve your PBEM issue. Perhaps you can try again with a different username and email? Most people are able to sign up, so it should work for you also. I hope to fix this soon.

Andreas
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

kokomante wrote:I keep getting a "Creating new user failed" when I try to create a username to play PBEM :(

I have fixed a bug in the create new user form. You should be able to log in with the username 'kokomante', and the password you chose when you first signed up.
Please let me know if you have any further bugs related to the PBEM support.

Andreas
dx486

Post by dx486 »

Hello!

Thank you for developing Freeciv-web PBEM support. It is an exciting project and I am very happy that it is being finally realized. I waited long time for PBEM in Freeciv.

I am playing & testing it and I will give you feedback whenever it is necessary. So far there was no problem.

Suggestion: My friend does not speak English and he wants Freeciv-web to be available in Turkish as well. Do you plan to import translations of Freeciv desktop to Freeciv web?

Regards
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dx486 wrote:Suggestion: My friend does not speak English and he wants Freeciv-web to be available in Turkish as well. Do you plan to import translations of Freeciv desktop to Freeciv web?
I've been doing some work to support switching language in freeciv-web server. However, even when the code gets there, we will have issues with the currency of the translations. Translators usually work with already stable strings in the freeciv branches where we will make releases. At the moment most translations are still about freeciv-2.5 (not been updated even for freeciv-2.6) Freeciv-web is using server from freeciv TRUNK (main development branch that will next branch for freeciv-3.0).
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

dx486 wrote:Hello!

Thank you for developing Freeciv-web PBEM support. It is an exciting project and I am very happy that it is being finally realized. I waited long time for PBEM in Freeciv.

I am playing & testing it and I will give you feedback whenever it is necessary. So far there was no problem.

Suggestion: My friend does not speak English and he wants Freeciv-web to be available in Turkish as well. Do you plan to import translations of Freeciv desktop to Freeciv web?

Regards
Thanks a lot for the positive feedback about PBEM in Freeciv-web!

Perhaps you can encourage your friend to learn some English by playing Freeciv-web?

Andreas
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

cazfi wrote:
dx486 wrote:Suggestion: My friend does not speak English and he wants Freeciv-web to be available in Turkish as well. Do you plan to import translations of Freeciv desktop to Freeciv web?
I've been doing some work to support switching language in freeciv-web server. However, even when the code gets there, we will have issues with the currency of the translations.
The Turkish translation hasn't been touched since 2.1. Stats in the last 2.5 release were 42% of core strings translated. Still, maybe better than nothing?