Colonial Africa Scenario

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
XYZ
Elite

Colonial Africa Scenario

Post by XYZ »

Hi all,

thank you all for including my WW1 into freeciv web. Unfortunately the game is probably too overloaded for running on freeciv web. I created a "lighter" version of the European conflict in Colonial Africa. It isn't as detailed but still nicely crafted and leaves much space for own developement. I would really like to see it included into freeciv web and played by others players.

It can be downloaded here: http://civland.org/forum/download/file.php?id=350

Ferdi (XYZ)
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Colonial Africa Scenario

Post by AndreasR »

Sure, I can include this in the next version. Thanks!
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Excelent! I've updated the version again. Here is my final version for Freeciv web. Looking forward to see it included!

P.S.: I included the most eastern part of Brazil to the scenario plus some additional habitated and unhabitated islands to make the Atlantic more interesting.
Attachments
Colonial Africa 1895 Fre.sav.gz
Colonial Africa 1895 Freeciv web updated 21.01.2016
(196.67 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Hi XYZ,

I have tested your Colonial Africa Scenario. It looks very nice, but needs some changes in order to be included into Freeciv-web.

- The timeout variable is set to 82800. That is too high.
- rulesetdir="classic", but this should be set to fcweb for Freeciv-web.
- Ai players were not set to AI automatically when I tested this with Freeciv 2.5.
- Can you please create a screenshot for the scenario, like this one: https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web/ ... ritish.png

If would be best if you could please build Freeciv-web locally using Vagrant, then make the changes required to include the scenario, and then create a pull request on Github. I can help you getting started with this.

Andreas
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Hi Andreas,

thanks for testing!

-I had hoped it would be much lower than the one of the WWI scenario. Shall I tweak it and reduce the number of nations/units/land? What would be an apropiate number? Can I also calculate that number by myself?
-Unfortunately I have no idea how to change the ruleset but feel free to change it!
-Same as before, plz aitoggle the players!
-I will take a look Vagrant when I got more time. Can't promise something since Im a complete tech noob.

Greetings

Ferdi
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I will include the scenario, once it is ready for end-users to play on Freeciv-web.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Hi,

new idea. I created this small scenario with German States in the borders of 1871. The timeout should be much smaller. What do you think?

Ferdi
Attachments
German Empire (1871) 1.3.sav.bz2
Updated Version 14.02.2015
(36.84 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Last edited by XYZ on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the new map. I will review it by Tuesday.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I have tested the German States scenario, and I think it will be a great scenario to include into Freeciv-web.
Can you please make these modifications to the savegame:

-Rulesetdir should be set like this: rulesetdir="fcweb"
-Please include a thumbnail to the scenario, similar to this. Scenarios in Freeciv-web have a thumbnail in the select scenario dialog. The thumbnail can be created with the GTK client.
-Can you please remove the XYZ letters in the water? I think the credits to XYZ in the description should be sufficient.
-Since this is a map of Germany in Europe, can you change the tiles of the neighboring countries from ocean to "inaccessible terrain"? Similar to the France scenario.

After you have made these modifications, then I will gladly include the scenario into Freeciv-web.
XYZ
Elite

German States 1871

Post by XYZ »

Hello again,

I did the following things:

-I created a thumbnail, hope its allright?
-Erased the XYZ letters in the ocean
-Changed the name to "German States 1871", you were right the name is more precise.
-Made some minor changes to the map (reduced the gold amount per player, moved cites, added/erased specials and landmass etc.)

I thought of encercling Germanys land border with "inaccessible land" as well but it would favour hugely some states that are already in a better corner position. Also the rivers would loose their interstate connection-pipe function. Furthermore, as you said its Germany in Europe, at least other countries serve as operating space and Germany is not reduced to a an isolated fighting cage :D . I hope you don't mind if I want to keep it?

I haven't been able to change the ruleset to "fcweb". I only get the message that the game has already started and that it's not possible anymore. How can I change it?

Thanks for pushing this so quickly!

Greetings

Ferdi
Attachments
German States 1871 (1.4).sav.bz2
(37.11 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
German States 1871 (1.4) thumbnail png-T0000-Y-4000-M-bcf-tuZ2Pall.map.png