Freeciv usage statistics for 2014/2015

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Freeciv usage statistics for 2014

Post by dunnoob »

Arbogast wrote: can we -Windows players- could get a little more attention? Maybe I'm crying at a blue moon...
What exactly are you missing? Apart from the rather hilarious "nobody knows exactly since when and why Windows 2000 is not more supported" detail everything on the Windows side is good enough from my POV.

Just for fun I added my civtest.cmd script (in a ZIP, the forum server hates CMD or TXT) for quick command line tests on Windows. :lol:
Attachments
civtest.zip
Freeciv command line test script for Windows
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:something working under Wine should work with any Windows
I'm more guessing than speaking of experience, but I assume that while testing that something dows work under Wine would work, Wine is not exactly ideal solution for hard debugging of why something behaves weirdly on some Windows version -> fixing Windows specific bugs.
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

dunnoob wrote:something working under Wine should work with any Windows
Wine can also creates issues not appearing on Windows: out of the 2.5-beta2 builds I've just tested, only the sdl client runs.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Freeciv usage statistics for 2015

Post by AndreasR »

Here are updated usage statistics for Freeciv-web for the year 2015:

There were 362,196 unique visiting users in 2015, compared to 251,626 in 2014. So this is very positive news that even more people found and used Freeciv-web in 2015.
Since 20th September 2015 there has been 5159646 turns played on Freeciv-web (live stats can be found on the frontpage of Freeciv-web).
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Freeciv usage statistics for 2014/2015

Post by AndreasR »

Here are updated download statistics for Freeciv from sourceforge for the year 2015:

In 2015 Freeciv was downloaded 121,768 times, while in 2014 Freeciv was downloaded 157,514 times on sourceforge.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

https://play.freeciv.org/meta/stats/ - here are statistics about the number of started games for Freeciv-web singleplayer, multiplayer, pbem and Freeciv desktop client on metaserver games.

Stats from Freeciv-web started February 20, while Freeciv metaserver started on February 23.

The front-page of https://play.freeciv.org/ now also shows the total number of hours played Freeciv-web. Currently at 7748 hours, in just 4 days. 8-)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote:Here are updated download statistics for Freeciv from sourceforge for the year 2015:
Biggest surprise there is that Windows downloads are only 64% of the sourceforge downloads. Is there some other place Windows users get their downloads? I've though that SourceForge is the place where all the Windows users would get their Freeciv, while it doesn't make so much sense for Linux users who either get freeciv as part of their distribution, or fetch the sources directly from our svn (we don't have any Linux binaries in SourceForge, all those non-Windows dowloads are about getting the source code for them to build themselves)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
AndreasR wrote:Here are updated download statistics for Freeciv from sourceforge for the year 2015:
Biggest surprise there is that Windows downloads are only 64% of the sourceforge downloads. Is there some other place Windows users get their downloads? I've though that SourceForge is the place where all the Windows users would get their Freeciv, while it doesn't make so much sense for Linux users who either get freeciv as part of their distribution, or fetch the sources directly from our svn (we don't have any Linux binaries in SourceForge, all those non-Windows dowloads are about getting the source code for them to build themselves)
Well, I'm a windows user and I always get my binaries from Gna. I don't see a reason to download them via sourceforge - why load another page and wait a few seconds when I can get it directly?
~ AVL
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote:Is there some other place Windows users get their downloads?
Until some bugs with the default installation directory and FREECIV_PATH are fixed I'd recommend to get the "portable apps" installation on Vista or later, and put it in a writable directory (outside of Program Files). In essence the PAF is a Zipped copy of an ordinary installation, plus a PAF-laucher for folks with "portable apps" collections (not really needed, just copying an installed Freeciv to a writable directory is good enough.) Most of the PAF stuff is also hosted on SourceForge.

I think the "writable FREECIV_PATH" issue can be fixed in one script (installed as the three *cmd scripts, same file, different names). Rough idea: Handle the %1 business to SET LANG= unless it's auto (as is). If there is a %HOME% believe it, otherwise consider %APPDATA%\.freeciv as %HOME% (partially as is). If there is a %FREECIV_PATH% believe it, otherwise construct it on the fly to overrule the default .;./data;%HOME%/.freeciv/<x.y>;/usr/shared/foo. (Nothing wrong with it on other platforms, but it doesn't exist on Windows, and if it exists it wouldn't survive a changed "current drive" from C: to D: or similar test.)

Main idea for the constructed FREECIV_PATH: Keep .;./data in front to match lots of manual pages, READMEs, wikis, etc. Add the modpack directory %HOME%/.freeciv/<x.y> in position 3, add %HOME%/.freeciv in position 4, add installation direction (with the binaries) as 5, and the installed data as 6 (last). Then start the binary with current working directory %HOME%/.freeciv (above x.y and saves) to get crash reports, stderr, stdout, color tests, score logs, etc. in one obvious writable directory. Added bonus: Anything in %HOME%/.freeciv/x.y in position 3 comes long before installed/data in position 6, therefore folks can tweak individual files by just copying them from say installed/data/misc/some.spec to %HOME%/.freeciv/x.y/misc/some.spec, and edit the latter.

Not yet tested, I was busy with the "test is 2.6 for 2.5.99", all my scripts expected "biggest z in x.y.z is the latest and greatest x.y" :-P (But they get beta + RC right, only alpha was an issue.)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

1) Plese don't grow any new dependencies to FREECIV_PATH that exist only for backward compatibility. It was replaced by FREECIV_DATA_PATH, FREECIV_SCENARIO_PATH, etc on freeciv-2.3 already, and it will be completely gone in freeciv-3.0.

2) You don't need writable FREECIV_xxx_PATH, it's used for looking up files. AFAIK we talk here only about some debug files written to current working directory in some special cases (which seem to be going away completely). This is of course linked to the FREECIV_DATA_PATH in that currently FREECIV_DATA_PATH has no absolute path element to the freeciv installation (in Windows builds - linked to the fact that in Windows installation directory is chosen installation time; we don't know it compile time when default paths are baked in to the binary; Windows specific way to do this would be looking up things from the Registry), but are relative to freeciv installation root -> current working directory must be freeciv installation root for relative path to point to the right place