After turn 100 pirates come with muskets

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
desperados

After turn 100 pirates come with muskets

Post by desperados »

Hi
I'm newbie and I'm starting to play FreeCiv, I started british isles scenario, and after about 100 turns my towns are conquisted by pirates that have muskets, when I've yet researched catapults.
I'm too slow or are they too fast?
thanks
ipilowe

Re: After turn 100 pirates come with muskets

Post by ipilowe »

Do you research republic first? It allows you to make luxury/science/money percent 0/80/20 and your research speed will increase. After when you have technology republic, remember change your form of government to republic. Then next target is gunpowder which allows you make musket soldiers.

This was my first problem too and if I wouldn't found these forums. I would not play freeciv now.

In my opinion they aren't too fast, you must only learn that basic way to increase research speed(republic --> science percent 80%). Maybe this helps. ;)
desperados

Post by desperados »

I'll try, thanks
however, I've disabled barbarians and restart game, I and other AI opponents after 300 turns don't have yet muskets, so maybe for novice level barbarians are too strong....
ipilowe

Post by ipilowe »

Do you play with default settings? I'll try how fast I can research gunpowder.
ipilowe

Post by ipilowe »

How much cities you have, do you play small map? In default settings, turn 95, I had 11 cities and 3 settlers going to make new cities and gunpowder researched. No AI players, normal level barbarians coming in turn 60 to world.
desperados

Post by desperados »

I've restarted, and building more town and increasing research I think muskets could be reached, but I'm too novice for now :)
however, is it possible to slow search tree for all players? I think that musket after 100 turn (before Christ) is not very plausibly :)
thanks
ipilowe

Post by ipilowe »

If I right understood, you can change it before game starts, button "more settings" or something like that, there is button "science" and there is "technology costs percentage" or somethibg like that, im not sure because my language is finnish. Maybe this helps.
desperados

Post by desperados »

yeah, you're right, now I'll try this option, thanks :)

another question: can I save setting, so I haven't to reconfigure all every time I restart game? there is a button "save" but nothing happens
ipilowe

Post by ipilowe »

For me, it saves my settings... I dont know answer for this! Sorry.
desperados

Post by desperados »

it saves in file .freeciv-client-rc-2.3, but it doesn't read/load it when I restart game