irrigating cities, plus

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
djconklin
Veteran

irrigating cities, plus

Post by djconklin »

Is there a positive effect for irrigating the cities? I do that in freecol and it helps there. Not sure about this game.

===

In previous game runs I had options for "max food," "max production" etc.. In this latest game it is "prefer food," "prefer production" etc. I have no idea what I changed to cause that.
djconklin
Veteran

blocked granary?

Post by djconklin »

The granary says that it is blocked.
Attachments
Thivai blokced.png
louis94
Hardened

Re: irrigating cities, plus

Post by louis94 »

Hello,
  • Irrigation: Except the city itself, each irrigated tile gives you +1 food bonus (the green number on the city map). Each road will give you +1 trade (yellow), and mines give you +1 production (white). Irrigation and mines can't be built on all terrains, and can't be combined.
  • "Max Food" vs "Prefer Food": The latter is more accurate, because the governor won't maximize food at all costs. It will not allow negative production or trade, for example -- that's the meaning of the "Min surplus" parameters. The "Factor" parameters balance how much the governor should prefer this or that. If you're math-oriented, I think the governor tries its best to maximize the sum of weight*surplus under the given constraints.
  • "Blocked": A city needs an Aqueduct to grow beyond size 8, and a Sewer System to grow beyond size 12. If you take an enemy city, its growth will remain blocked for one turn, too.
Coastal cities may benefit from a Port ; later in the game, the Supermarket allows to get a +2 food bonus from tiles with Farmland (=irrigated twice).

Louis
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

>Irrigation: Except the city itself,

Argh!

>"Max Food" vs "Prefer Food": The latter is more accurate,

I was more interested in what caused the shift.

>"Blocked": A city needs an Aqueduct to grow beyond size 8,

Ah!
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

djconklin wrote:Is there a positive effect for irrigating the cities? I do that in freecol and it helps there. Not sure about this game.
The built-in help hints at this:
In the classic ruleset, [the city's tile] [...] gains whatever advantages the terrain offers with an irrigation system (because cities come with water systems built-in), although this may not be used as a basis for irrigating other tiles
The only advantage of irrigating a city centre tile is that that lets you irrigate adjacent tiles. Probably the only reason you'd do it is if going through a city is the only way to extend the irrigation network to certain tiles.
djconklin wrote:In previous game runs I had options for "max food," "max production" etc.. In this latest game it is "prefer food," "prefer production" etc. I have no idea what I changed to cause that.
The default preset names were changed in patch #5952 to better reflect their effect. The behaviour was not changed.
The old names tend to persist in client settings, so seeing the new names isn't as simple as upgrading to 2.5.1.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

>upgrading to 2.5.1.

It was in 2.5.1 that I've been playing for the last week or so that it said "max food" etc., then just recently changed to "prefer food" etc..
===
Where can I read the rules? The help is too vague. Specificallay, I'mlooking for what I need to grow past the level 12 population. The game tells me that I need an improvement, without saying which one I need. Coloseum?
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

djconklin wrote:Where can I read the rules? The help is too vague. Specificallay, I'mlooking for what I need to grow past the level 12 population. The game tells me that I need an improvement, without saying which one I need. Coloseum?
You need a Sewer System. As for the rules, I find the help (the one in the menu) quite complete. To my knowledge, it's the best documentation besides the code itself.

Louis
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Found the sewer system. As I was going back home it hit me that I could check the research tree. That's where I gfound it. Of course, since its been a couple of hours since I had researched for aqueducts and I didn't read the whole thing--just looked for what I needed, I did n';t know about the rest.

Thanks for telling me about the rules. I'd never be able to read the code!