Max'ed out the memory!

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
djconklin
Veteran

Max'ed out the memory!

Post by djconklin »

I figured that since this computer had 8 gigs of memory I would make the map quite large. 2,490 spaces by 2,200 spaces. Ended up on a very LONG rectangular continent!

Looked at chat and found that there's a limit as to how big the map can be. That maybe should also take into account how many players one starts with.

TWO suggestions:

1) we can save the setup data. Could you let us call it back up and then we only have to edit that file?
2) Set the number of huts and resource tiles as a percentage of the whole, not a fixed number?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Max'ed out the memory!

Post by cazfi »

djconklin wrote:1) we can save the setup data. Could you let us call it back up and then we only have to edit that file?
Try "/write mysetup.serv" & "/read mysetup.serv"
Makes sense to see details with "/help write" & "/help read"
djconklin wrote:2) Set the number of huts and resource tiles as a percentage of the whole, not a fixed number?
I hit that huts weirdness just a couple of days ago myself (would have wanted a lot of huts on a large map for testing purposes, but 500 huts is the max regardless of map size). Specials are already "scale is parts per thousand."
("/explain specials")
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

>Makes sense to see details with "/help write" & "/help read"

Nice to know! Thank you!
---
>Try "/write mysetup.serv" & "/read mysetup.serv"

Just tried it and it didn't take. When I tell the computer to find mysetup the only thing it found was a copy of this page.

Tried "/write C:/mysetup.serv" and "/write C:/myetup.sav" and neither worked.
===
tried the game with a much smaller map than the max and it still max'd out the memory. I'm thinking that a large map AND 126 players is too much.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:
djconklin wrote:2) Set the number of huts and resource tiles as a percentage of the whole, not a fixed number?
I hit that huts weirdness just a couple of days ago myself (would have wanted a lot of huts on a large map for testing purposes, but 500 huts is the max regardless of map size).
Now patch #6669 (for 2.6)
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Thank you!
----
I found a net "bug"--see pic.
Attachments
starving.png
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

So the root cause of your starving problem is that you have not taken care of the happiness of your people -> you need to have two citizens turned to entertainers to keep city from going to disorder -> less workers (4 out of 6) in fields collecting food.
There seems to be 2+2+2+2+3=11 food (from 4 workers and freely worked city center), while 6 citizens eat 6 * 2 = 12.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

I thought they were happy!
==
The patch is for 2.6, we're still at 2.51(?)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

djconklin wrote:I thought they were happy!
==
The patch is for 2.6, we're still at 2.51(?)
Yes, we can't break compatibility-breaking changes within release series (bugfix releases). It will still be some time before 2.6 series is ready for a release.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

Had an interesting effect: one of my cities completely disbanded and joined another city, which stopped it from growing!
---
I get a lot of "not responding" when playing the game. I leave it sit and play a card game and when i come back it is okay.
---
In one city I have several citizens in light blue, one in yellow and one in dark blue--I have no idea what the colors mean.
---
Trying to load a saved game and that isn't working--getting the "not responding" msg.