weird bug

It's 5am again and you are still sitting in front of your computer and chatting with some tv's while watching a bloody duel? Welcome friend :)
djconklin
Veteran

weird bug

Post by djconklin »

Playing with default rules, latest version.

I build a granary and the Pyramid and my city is starving!

Another city had 5 people and I build a caravan(?) dropping the population down to 4 and they can't build a surplus of food to get back up to 5!
cazfi
Elite

Re: weird bug

Post by cazfi »

Granary and Pyramids do not increase food production, so the city is as likely to have negative surplus (->starving) with them as without. They just reduce the amount of food needed for a growing city to collect before it grows to next size (and make shrinking cities to shrink slower)
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

More detail info: I'll have cities with say a population of size 4 and we're growing food and will hit 5 in say 4 turns. So, I'll build a settler that will come out in 6 turns. So, 6 turns later I should be back at population level 4 and growing food. But, when the settler comes out, I'll either get no growth or even with a granary and pyramid, I'll be starving! I've seen this happen under default and classic rules.

>the city is as likely to have negative surplus

That's the problem I'm trying to point to. I had a positive and should continue to have a positive surplus. Even when set at Max Food I get a negative.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Do you account for the food upkeep of the newly build Settler unit? (one or two food depending on government, on classic ruleset (which is the default until freeciv-3.0))
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

How long does that food upkeep continue? It shouldn't after the settler builds a new city, right? And when I have the city up to level 4 that's with improvements like irrigation.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

djconklin wrote:How long does that food upkeep continue? It shouldn't after the settler builds a new city, right? And when I have the city up to level 4 that's with improvements like irrigation.
Food upkeep is directly tied to the unit. If the unit ceases to exist for any reason (killed, disbanded, builds a city), then there's no longer a unit to have a food upkeep.