VladimirSlavik graphics (was: Dredger graphic)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
VladimirSlavik

VladimirSlavik graphics (was: Dredger graphic)

Post by VladimirSlavik »

EDIT: The thread has clearly evolved to be a dumping place for all my drawings. Changing title of first message accordingly.

----------

Hi guys, I would really love a naval worker unit, and some time ago it was discussed, without any tangible outcome I think. So, here's the graphic as a stimulant ;) Drawn from scratch, nothing great, but hopefully passable? I am prepared to listen for feedback. I attached some other working versions too, so you can have easier time commenting on the looks :)

Anyway, this is my fist post so I should attempt to introduce myself - I'm Vladimir, a lone offline player. I am not a stranger to free software and games - I did tons of stuff for Simutrans, translations of Wesnoth, and some other things.

PS: Treat my work as CC-0. EDIT: remembered in this case it's a derivative so GPL2.1, sorry for confusion.
Attachments
dredger-freeciv.xcf.bz2
GIMP source
(52.56 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
Worksheet, background is shallow ocean. Used version is marked by red dots.
Worksheet, background is shallow ocean. Used version is marked by red dots.
dredger-worksheet.png (81.61 KiB) Viewed 17400 times
Standalone graphic
Standalone graphic
dredger.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 17400 times
Last edited by VladimirSlavik on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: Dredger graphic

Post by GriffonSpade »

From a cursory look, this is great! Any credits other than yourself? (ie did you modify it from an existing sprite?)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

If it's GPLv2+ stuff, I'll add it to delta2 tileset as the "Sea Constructor" gfx.

https://github.com/cazfi/fcmodpacks
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Ah, had to look it up, CC0 basically looks like a release to public domain: No rights reserved. (And where rights are unable to legally be released, they're waived)
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that explicitly: I agree with any license you have in place, and don't mind anything else done to my stuff.

Originality - hrm, now that you asked, I remember. I have borrowed the hull and water from transport... I started this some months ago and then shelved, so no clear memory, but the pattern under bow looks identical so most probably yes.

----------

Do you have any other graphics in mind? I can draw (some) machines and structures in isometric views (human forms and animals not so much).
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Hmmm, machines? How about modern battle armor (Like an M1 tank), a mobile SAM battery, or a stationary SAM battery? I've attempted them in the past, but sadly my skill level just isn't up to par.
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

OK. I'm working (slowly) on a mobile SAM, based on ROMB. I guess something Partriot-like would work for the stationary SAM?

I'm not sure about the tank myself. Let's see when I try it :)
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

VladimirSlavik wrote:OK. I'm working (slowly) on a mobile SAM, based on ROMB. I guess something Partriot-like would work for the stationary SAM?

I'm not sure about the tank myself. Let's see when I try it :)
Isn't the Patriot a mobile SAM? I was thinking more along the lines of a fixed turret for the non-mobile SAM.

Not sure what a ROMB is. Edit: Ahah, found it. So a smaller Soviet SAM.
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Now I am a bit confused... I assumed that stationary and mobile reflected the use in game, so I went for something fast as "mobile" and something that has to deploy as "stationary". Actually, did you mean stationary SAM as an unit or a building? What kind of system would you suggest as an inspiration?

PS/edit: Here's a preview, more work is needed of course :) Too low contrast, too little shading, no shadow below...
Attachments
romb-progress.png
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

VladimirSlavik wrote:Now I am a bit confused... I assumed that stationary and mobile reflected the use in game, so I went for something fast as "mobile" and something that has to deploy as "stationary". Actually, did you mean stationary SAM as an unit or a building? What kind of system would you suggest as an inspiration?

PS/edit: Here's a preview, more work is needed of course :) Too low contrast, too little shading, no shadow below...
Oh, wow that's a really good flat-color! You really have a good eye for converting things to an isometric sprite.

I was thinking of the (non-mobile) SAM as something like a larger scale version of the RIM-116 RAM launcher. (Not that sprites are conducive to showing scale) [And of course the idea would be that it'd be on a retractable silo platform or something, but that wouldn't be visible in a sprite] So a stationary unit, if that makes any sense. I always felt that having a SAM launcher represented as a building that boosts other units' defense didn't make much sense. They pretty much do their own thing completely independent of other units' combat abilities. They would be able to shoot down a plane whether they were with a phalanx or marines. Though, I'm sure an unshadowed version could double as a building, the current SAM battery 'building' is kind of a fuzzy mess.

That being said, having a PATRIOT too isn't a bad idea. Those things are beastly and known for their ability to shoot down ICBMs. For example, they might have to spend a turn converting to a form that can't move on terrain (But might still be able to attack) to actually obtain an extremely high defense level. (I don't think current hardcoding allows you to specify only certain classes that can be attacked without abusing the unreachable property though. Unfortunate, that. It would be kinda neat. Might be approximated by exploiting the defense/attack multipliers though)

As for modern armor, and SPG as well, trident actually has pretty good flats of them, but they're too small and unshaded to be used with amplio. Perhaps you could use that for a reference point to start from?