Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Post by AndreasR »

> PS! What is the purpose of webclient-ai-attitude.patch?

I think it is there to make it easier to display the ai attitude (love) in the web-client. It could be that the patch is no longer necessary. I think the patch was put in when Freeciv-web didn't support signed numbers, so the patch shifted the ai attitude up with MAX_AI_LOVE to get only positive numbers. The patch could probably easily be refactored away now.

> Are you interested in trying to do something with the AI difficulty your self?
Not really, I don't know how.

Good work on the glib dependency removal. Now there is only one more usage of glib, and then we can remove the glib dependency from Freeciv-web!

Andreas
Nook

Post by Nook »

AndreasR wrote:After watching the game so far, I think the current hard AI should have been made stronger and tougher to beat. Nook is facing 32 hard AIs and should have seen much more resistance. In my opinion a hard Freeciv AI should be more aggressive and attack the human player more often, and defend their cities better. Perhaps we should do like our commercial competitor, and give the hard AI extra gold and/or research each turn?

Andreas
I agree, most of the reason it seems so easy is due to the aggressiveness of the AI. I've been at war with a few of the North American tribes nearly the entire game and have yet to see an offensive unit. You can also tell based on the world map that there was little fighting other than a few town the Vikings conquered.
I'm not a big fan of cheating AI, but I think just about every 4x game out there uses it. But then, even if the AI had a head start, if they still aren't aggressive it won't make much difference.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: A trade route can fix a city in disorder when Luxuries are non zero. Send it a Freight from a city with some trade slots left. Alternatives: use a Caravan or Freight that has the disordered city as home city to establish the trade route. You can change a unit's home city once it is inside the city you want to make its new home. (I assume you can change home city in Freeciv-web)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Supported (millitary) units outside your borders cause unhappiness. An unclaimed sea tile is outside your borders. Supported field units cause unhappiness even inside of your borders. (I don't think a Spy or Freigh in foreign terrain cause unhappiness)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: Some units have fewer moves when damaged.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

If you want to build spaceship parts, then you have to build a factory in that city first. Or there could be some bug in Freeciv-web preventing you from building space parts. Spaceships could be disabled in the scenario you are playing.

Nook, do you have any suggestions about important things to improve in Freeciv-web?
Nook

Post by Nook »

I'm using the standard "large world map" scenario, are spaceships disabled in that one? If it is disabled, is there a way to re-enable them?
AndreasR wrote: Nook, do you have any suggestions about important things to improve in Freeciv-web?
Hmm, There is only one thing that really annoys me (you may have noticed watching this), when you click and it brings up the goto option. If I want to Goto, I have the hotkey "G" option, the click to goto doesn't seem to have much point (other than angering me, lol)

Other than that and the AI thoughts I mentioned earlier, I don't have anything that comes to mind immediately.

I've just thought of a couple others...
Having an easier way to get into a city would be really helpful, right-clicking and selecting the option to "view city" doesn't seem to bad, but when I'm trying to run through multiple cities it can get tedious.

I think I mentioned this the last time I played... being able to see what the city is building and time left on the map screen would be fantastic (something similar to the Civ series)
http://rhye.civfanatics.net/civ3/screenshots/ins4.jpg

One other, it's not a big deal when you have a small empire, but when it gets big like this then having a window that shows all of my cities, their production, happiness, growth. Master of Orion 2 has the perfect window for this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ist400.png

One other thing that came to mind while I was thinking about the AI aggressiveness...
Is it possible to change personalities of the civs? something like having certain ones very aggressive but focus less on science, where others are about expansion and city growth. It might add a little flavor to the game and civs rather than just having everyone acting the same way.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Nook wrote: Hmm, There is only one thing that really annoys me (you may have noticed watching this), when you click and it brings up the goto option. If I want to Goto, I have the hotkey "G" option, the click to goto doesn't seem to have much point (other than angering me, lol)
Isn't this for the sake of tablet users?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Nook wrote:
AndreasR wrote: Nook, do you have any suggestions about important things to improve in Freeciv-web?
Hmm, There is only one thing that really annoys me (you may have noticed watching this), when you click and it brings up the goto option. If I want to Goto, I have the hotkey "G" option, the click to goto doesn't seem to have much point (other than angering me, lol)
Did you understand that you can get rid of the unwanted goto line by pressing escape? I realized that "Press escape to cancel a goto" is a bit unclear.

Update: I just tested. It no longer works for me. Not sure if this was a feature that got broken or an unintended side effect of something else that disappeared.
Last edited by sveinung on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: The goto system avoids the unknown tiles because they are unknown. For all it know they could be land.

This behavior is configurable in the regular Freeciv clients. The regular Freeciv client has unit type specific goto rules. There has been talk about making that code shared so server side goto users can take advantage of it. If this is done it would be much less work to use it in Freeciv-web too)