Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
AndreasR
Elite

Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Post by AndreasR »

NeptunesNook is doing a new Let's Play Freeciv series, which can be seen here: Enjoy!

Post your suggestions to Nook here or in the Youtube comments.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Let's Play FreeCiv Videos | 32 Nation Large World Map

Post by sveinung »

Hint: To defend a city against tech theft place a Diplomat or a Spy in it. The next time someone tries to steal a tech the thief will have to fight a diplomatic battle in stead. The battle will kill the thief or the defender. All diplomatic defenders in a city must be killed before a tech can be stolen from it.
Nook

Post by Nook »

Ah! Thank you so much, I knew there had to be some way of stopping them. Will having 1 defend be enough or should I stock each city with more than that?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Nook wrote:Ah! Thank you so much, I knew there had to be some way of stopping them. Will having 1 defend be enough or should I stock each city with more than that?
Depends on your strategy and where you are in the game. Attacker and defender start with equal odds. A Spy gets a bonus. A veteran gets a bonus. The defender gets a bonus in your capital. The current AI is kind. He won't bribe your city to change side as long as you have a tech he can steal. A non allied city can be bribed unless it is the capital or it belongs to a democracy.

I don't think anyone has discovered Espionage yet. Espionage allows building Spy units. Veteran diplomats shouldn't be common. Diplomats will die after tech theft. A Spy can escape and become a veteran. I don't think anyone has discovered Communism yet. Communist nations builds diplomats and spies as veterans. Defending diplomats may have become veterans. Thanks to the techs from the Great Library and the AI kindness you probably won't lose a city even if your defenders have bad luck.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Democracy protects against bribing cities and units. It doesn't protect against tech theft. (Under Democracy the senate must approve your wars. They will accept a tech theft incident as a casus belli)
Last edited by sveinung on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: In most cases you should go to another city if your Caravan doesn't offer to establish a trade route. Exceptions:
  • You need money NOW.
  • You don't want to help the owner of the city.
  • The trade route is illegal because of the home city of your caravan and you can't easily change its home city.
Enter Marketplace is shown when Establish Trade Route is illegal. It will only give you a one time bonus. Establish Trade Route will give you a one time bonus and give its home city (and the city it trades with) gold pr turn. Enter Marketplace has a lower one time bonus.
Last edited by sveinung on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Hint: You have many Warriors. Leonardo's Workshop will upgrade 1 unit pr turn for free. It will be obsolete when Automobile is discovered. You can use a Caravan to hurry the production of a great wonder.
Nook

Post by Nook »

Sveinung you are my hero!

Do you think Leonardo would be more valuable than Adam Smith? Ii seems to me Adam smith would pretty much solve my money troubles. Also, does Electricity cancel out the Great Library still?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Nook wrote:Also, does Electricity cancel out the Great Library still?
Yes. The exact rule is that it becomes "obsolete_by" the "Tech" "Electricity" being discovered by any player in the "World". It is TRUE that the obsolescence "survives" even if everyone forgets about electricity. (Translated from the ruleset format to English)
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Nook wrote:Do you think Leonardo would be more valuable than Adam Smith?
Though choice. Adam Smith doesn't get obsoleted. It will be awesome when you get more cities and buildings. You already got buildings that would benefit from it.
Nook wrote:Ii seems to me Adam smith would pretty much solve my money troubles.
So would more trade routes. Try to give all your cities the highest number of trade routes possible. You start with max 2 trade routes pr city. Magnetism and The Corporation give you an extra legal trade route pr city each. (source)

A domestic trade route gives you a trade route in two of your cities at the price of one caravan. Don't worry about wasting possible trade routes on low profit domestic trade routes. A more profitable trade route will replace an existing less profitable trade route. You even get the one time bonus when you establish the new more profitable trade route that replaces to old one.

(In theory, if you have extremely large amounts of information, you could use this as an attack. An enemy has a domestic trade route that gives 4 gold in profit pr turn to each side. That gives him (4 + 4 =) 8 gold pr turn from this trade route. If you go to one of the cities and replace the trade route with one that gives 5 gold pr turn he will lose (8 - 5 = ) 3 gold pr turn until he can give the other city a new trade route while you gain 5 gold pr turn from your side.)

Consider using the one time bonus from Establish Trade Route to rush other Caravan units that you are producing. Some players makes the first Caravan pay for the next.

The ideal trade route (in terms of profit) is between two giant cities at the opposite sides of the planet, located at different islands and belonging to different players.