The big Freeciv-web feedback and suggestions thread

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Yar Lucebith

Re: Freeciv-web server down?

Post by Yar Lucebith »

AndreasR wrote: The server is down at the moment. Hopefully it will come back up again very soon.

[UPDATE:] The server is back online now. Sorry for the trouble!

Andreas
Thanks Andreas! (I'm always astonished by how quickly you respond to forum Q's!)
fotoman

Re: The big Freeciv-web feedback and suggestions thread

Post by fotoman »

I just discovered the online version of Freeciv, so I figured I would give it a try. By and large I think some of the attempts at improved gameplay are quite valid and a welcome relief from the smallpox plague, but I think war has been severely limited because of it. I don't mind building my cities with improvements and improving the land, building roads, and creating large powerful cities. I like that they tried to encourage that element, but war is part of this game and it has been since I started playing versions of it back in 1991.

I enjoy the casual nature of playing from time to time, but feel that a single Musketeer should not be able to defeat 4 cannons, 6 cavalry, 2 alpine troops, 3 Destroyers, 2 and Cruisers. A defender HAS to take SOME damage during a battle, I don't care if they're in a city, but a single defender against all of that on the same turn...impossible. I mean an 18th Century defender against a WWI era warship?

I also had a Cruiser get defeated by a worker, granted it wasn't as dramatic as the Civ I concept of a Settler besting a Veteran Battleship, but it was pretty damn close.

I have made a list of suggestions/comment from the brief week that I have been playing.
  • In the city dialog, I don't know if my units are using up a production unit or not
  • On the "Production" Screen, it would be nice if we had the attack/defense/movements of each unit list
  • On the "Production" screen, it would be nice to know how long that particular city will take to build a unit, I really don't care how many production units it costs to build, it's helpful, but saying it will take 3 turns vs. 10 turns is more important than it takes 60 units to produce.
  • Units seem to get "stuck" if you try to move them beyond the number of moves they have remaining. They're not sentried, they're not moving, they're just forgotten and not cycled through on the next turn. They have the "G" next to them, but don't go anywhere.
  • AI Defenders seem to receive ZERO damage during attacks!
  • Three back-to-back (i.e same turn) successful spy/diplomat sabotages on the same city should not destroy production on the same item if the previous spy just destroyed the production.
  • Establishing an Embassy apparently does nothing. I get zero extra information when I visit the 'Nations' tab. Ok, I guess I get the "player score" perhaps?
  • City reports seem to be missing. I'd really love to have a list of my cities, what they are building, how many turns left for each item, the current state of citizens (unhappy, happy, taxmen, entertainers, scientists, etc)
  • On the Nations tab, NULL should not sort above a value.
  • On the Nations tab, if I sort on Attitude, it should not be an ABC sort, but a value sort based on Alliance, Peace, Cease-Fire, Neutral, Weary, Uncooperative, etc.
  • On the City detail page, the citizen icons are too small to see what they mean, there also appears to be a black line around each block which appears unnecessary.
  • There is no "Unload" hotkey for ships containing units to be unloaded. You have to click on the ship, then select each unit one by one, and it the ship has finished it's moves, the map recenters to the capital and then I have to go back and find the ship and repeat the process.
  • "J" is an odd choice of a hotkey for "no orders". Spacebar would be better. When I play, my left hand is on the keyboard and the right hand is using the mouse and numberpad. It's awkward to take my hand off the keyboard to press the 'j'
  • There doesn't appear to be a way to rearrange the items in the worklist. If I have a long worklist, I have to remove everything if I want to insert something, then re-add everything back in.
  • The City title gets in the way, both on the main map and in the city details page, I don't know what is underneath it
    I
  • t would be nice if the Manual or the Tile Info should you what doing improvements to the tiles will do, along with what the various specials on each tile type do along with improvements for those as well.
  • Upgrade doesn't provide me an option if I want to upgrade given the cost of the upgrade before it happens.
I sort of like that random people popped in and started watching the game. At first I was a tad confused, but then it turned out to be ok. A different element of the same that I had not experienced before. I never played networked versions before because of the limited time I could spend playing at a given time.
fotoman

Post by fotoman »

I've also discovered that magical AI production is back, in the online version :/ City with no units and only city walls on one turn magically ended up with a diplomat, 2 riflemen, coastal defense, and a temple the next, and there were NO cities around it to resupply it with those units.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for all the suggestions, fotoman. Can you please assign a number to each of your suggestions, and sort the suggestions so that the most important suggestions comes first, and the less important suggestions comes later. This way I can start improving the most important things first.

Andreas
uruiamme

List - from fotoman!!

Post by uruiamme »

I like your list! I rearranged it a little and gave it some numbers for myself.

I will call this the FOTOMAN-URUIAMME LIST, or F.U. for short!!!
fotoman wrote:
  1. In the city dialog, I don't know if my units are using up a production unit or not
  2. City reports seem to be missing. I'd really love to have a list of my cities, what they are building, how many turns left for each item, the current state of citizens (unhappy, happy, taxmen, entertainers, scientists, etc)
  3. On the "Production" Screen, it would be nice if we had the attack/defense/movements of each unit list
  4. Units seem to get "stuck" if you try to move them beyond the number of moves they have remaining. They're not sentried, they're not moving, they're just forgotten and not cycled through on the next turn. They have the "G" next to them, but don't go anywhere.
  5. On the City detail page, the citizen icons are too small to see what they mean, there also appears to be a black line around each block which appears unnecessary.
  6. Three back-to-back (i.e same turn) successful spy/diplomat sabotages on the same city should not destroy production on the same item if the previous spy just destroyed the production.
  7. There is no "Unload" hotkey for ships containing units to be unloaded. You have to click on the ship, then select each unit one by one, and it the ship has finished it's moves, the map recenters to the capital and then I have to go back and find the ship and repeat the process.
  8. There doesn't appear to be a way to rearrange the items in the worklist. If I have a long worklist, I have to remove everything if I want to insert something, then re-add everything back in.
  9. Upgrade doesn't provide me an option if I want to upgrade given the cost of the upgrade before it happens.
I think a lot of those I may have mentioned before. Thanks AndreasR!!
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Thanks for the list! These points have been added to the Todo-list: https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv-web/blob/master/TODO

That list is also a good starting-point for other developers interested in Freeciv-web.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I plan to push the current code of Freeciv-web from github to the production server tomorrow. Are there any critical bugs in the current Freeciv server on current SVN trunk?
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

AndreasR wrote:I plan to push the current code of Freeciv-web from github to the production server tomorrow. Are there any critical bugs in the current Freeciv server on current SVN trunk?
I don't know how common bug #23683 is. It could be an issue.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

A new version of Freeciv-web has been pushed to the production server today. Some new bugs are to be expected, please report anything unusual you might find.
IZY5O

Post by IZY5O »

AndreasR wrote:A new version of Freeciv-web has been pushed to the production server today. Some new bugs are to be expected, please report anything unusual you might find.
Hi Andreas,

Uh... It looks like the Goto command is having issues now. I can't send a second worker to a tile where the first worker is already working. It seems to think it's an "invalid location".

Thanks for all you do!

-IZY.