control under Android

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
ricorico94

control under Android

Post by ricorico94 »

Hi,

I'm trying the online version on my Android tablet (Asus Transformer Infinity, 4.1.x), but I'm facing issues to control units.
Very often, I try to drag and drop a unit, but instead of moving, the map is re-centered or nothing happen( whereas I promise my finger touche the screen).
Is there somewherea FAQ or HowTo on gestures expected to control ? Maybe I'm not doing the right gestures..

Also, one quick question: is there a way to play "online" with its own personal server ?

br,
Ricorico94
AndreasR
Elite

Re: control under Android

Post by AndreasR »

ricorico94 wrote: I'm trying the online version on my Android tablet (Asus Transformer Infinity, 4.1.x), but I'm facing issues to control units.
Hi! Are you playing on Freeciv-web at play.freeciv.org?
ricorico94 wrote: Very often, I try to drag and drop a unit, but instead of moving, the map is re-centered or nothing happen( whereas I promise my finger touche the screen).
Try touching the units carefully to make sure you hit it, and drag it slowly and carefully to the destination. Did this help?
It takes a short while before goto of unit are activated.
ricorico94 wrote: Also, one quick question: is there a way to play "online" with its own personal server ?
Could you please explain what you mean by this?

Andreas
ricorico94

Post by ricorico94 »

Are you playing on Freeciv-web at play.freeciv.org?
Yes, indeed.
Try touching the units carefully to make sure you hit it, and drag it slowly and carefully to the destination. Did this help?
It takes a short while before goto of unit are activated.
OK, I'll try again and let you know. The issue with "gentle touch" is that in limited time of each round, losing time for touching is somehow a pity. Could we imagine a "multitouch approach" for moving the screen ? (like touching anywhere, and the touch of second finger would center screen on that finger)
Could you please explain what you mean by this?
Let's imagine I want to either use my deskptop PC or my tablet to play the same freeciv game. Can I setup a Freeciv server on my deskptop and then access that game either from my tablet or from the PC client ?

Ricorico94
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Freeciv and freeciv-web are not compatible with each other. You cannot set up freeciv server to play with browser-based client - you'd need to setup freeciv-web server which is a bit more involved process. However, your question soudns like you just want to play freeciv (and not necessarily freeciv-web on browser). Just download freeciv (link from http://www.freeciv.org/ main page) and you get both server and dedicated client (as normal freeciv is not playable with generic web browser). There's always server and client(s) in freeciv game - for local single player games client is just able to spawn server for itself by itself.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

ricorico94 wrote:Let's imagine I want to either use my deskptop PC or my tablet to play the same freeciv game. Can I setup a Freeciv server on my deskptop and then access that game either from my tablet or from the PC client ?
As cazfi's said, you can't do that with the "freeciv-web" version.

However, a "native" Android port of Freeciv exists: civ.zielm.com

I don't know much about it, but perhaps it lets you connect to a Freeciv server (your desktop PC in this scenario) from your tablet and act as a regular client?

(Or failing that -- edit: this is not encouraging -- maybe you can transfer the save files between your clients, but that's a faff.)