Two newbie questions about embassies

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Horace

Two newbie questions about embassies

Post by Horace »

I recently downloaded Freeciv 2.5.0, and I'm playing my first game on it against 4 "easy" AIs. I'm up to 275 BC. I expended a diplomat to establish an embassy with one of them. I have a couple of questions about this.

1) If I establish an embassy in a city of another player, and subsequently capture or destroy the city, do I still have an embassy with that player?

2) I see that expending a diplomat to establish an embassy gave me some information about the other player's research and demographics. Is this reciprocal? By this, I mean, does it give the other player the same information about my position? And, if the answer to that is yes, is the AI capable of using that information?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Two newbie questions about embassies

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

1) The embassy isn't tied to a city. It doesn't matter whether you establish the embassy with a diplomat or through a treaty, it's with the nation as a whole, so it doesn't matter if you conquer any cities.
2) No, establishing an embassy doesn't automatically grant the other player an embassy with you. In the Nations dialog (F3), your diplomatic relationships are shown, including which players you have an embassy with.
~ AVL
Horace

Post by Horace »

Thanks for the reply, Caedo.

I have another newbie question.

What happens to a Barracks when it becomes obsolete? Does it just disappear, is it automatically sold, does it just stop working, or what? (I'm playing the same game, at only one or two moves a day, and gunpowder will be discovered in a few turns.) Also, will units created in a city with with a barracks remain veterans when the Barracks becomes obsolete?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

The baracks will be sold AFAIK. Units that already are veterans remain veterans; the game doesn't trace how a unit became veteran.
~ AVL