Experimental ruleset: a Large poxers best friend

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
uncivilizedplayer

Experimental ruleset: a Large poxers best friend

Post by uncivilizedplayer »

The lay of the land
The lay of the land
black hullacopters over Koln
black hullacopters over Koln
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Experimental ruleset: a Large poxers best friend

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

It gets even better when you set a low citymindist and play with AIs, because they'll be smallpoxing like hell, giving you a nice advantage (especially for migration). If you build and push a single city close to theirs, your city will act as a magnet for the citizens and suffocate those that don't migrate.
~ AVL
uncivilizedplayer

ah nice, noticed some refugee suction indeed, if it can kill enemy cities like that it, would solve alot of the smallpox objections.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I've cleared quite the space with that technique (with max mgr_distance setting). The important thing to remember is that citizens of enemy nations in your city cause unhappiness, which can quickly impact on your city's productivity and migration score, so the whole thing works best under a democracy - which makes it hard to actively wage war again.
~ AVL
rainbowrobin

Post by rainbowrobin »

What are the OP images telling us? I haven't used experimental much, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.

And are those sizes? 76 and so? How? 25 tiles at 4 food each would support 50 people.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

rainbowrobin wrote:What are the OP images telling us?
I'm not OP. I guess it shows how large the city radius can become. The first image shows the large distance between the cities. The second image shows all the tiles a single city can work when the city radius is expanded.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Anyways, rainbowrobin, in the experimental ruleset, cities can get a maximum city radius of four tiles (as you can see in the bottom screenshot), which allows for far bigger cities and far higher production and trade per city. Larger cities also have additional unit build slots so you can use all that production. Additionally, there's the Genetic Lab, which increases the food output by 25% if the city is greater than size 20, allowing for a hell of a city.

Also, somewhat related to the topic: I think that the City_Radius_Sq for city radius 4 should be increased by one, as that will include one additional tile at the corners (top, botton, left and right on iso maps), giving the whole thing a rounder shape. Also, it'll bring it on par with hex maps, as those have a total of 60 workable tiles at city radius four (61 with the city center tile), whereas the sqare maps only have 56 (57). I also posted this some time ago as patch #5983, but it seems nobody took notice of it.
Last edited by Alien Valkyrie on Sun May 24, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:I also posted this some time ago as patch #5983, but it seems nobody took notice of it.
We can't react to every patch immediately. At least I've noted that one but have not yet had time to do anything about it (after all it's not a bugfix to a crash, in a stable branch going to release soon)
uncivilizedplayer

rainbowrobin wrote:What are the OP images telling us? I haven't used experimental much, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing.
And are those sizes? 76 and so? How? 25 tiles at 4 food each would support 50 people.

That you can build nice fat cities with a large radius with experimental rules.