Win 7 Sound Problems

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
kjhasdjasd

Win 7 Sound Problems

Post by kjhasdjasd »

I just installed freeciv 2.5.0 (full install) and the sound isn't working, any suggestions?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Win 7 Sound Problems

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Stupid question, but did you turn it on? You have to make sure that there's both a soundset (e.g. stdsounds) and a sound plugin (e.g. sdl) selected (in Game menu → Options → Local Client → Sound).
~ AVL
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Seems like a good place for my remark:
The Freesounds under 2.5.0 are way sub par with earlier Freeciv versions.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:The Freesounds under 2.5.0 are way sub par with earlier Freeciv versions.
?!? Neither Freesounds or audio code has been touched in ages (until 2.6, that is).
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I should have been more explicit, so here are two instances:
* During the Turn Done cycle, on 2.4.4. You could hear cheers when something good happens. On 2.5.0 the cheers are mute.
* While exploring, when you find some gold you hear a nice yell and if you find a tech advance then it's the cheers you hear. Not so with 2.5.0.
Thanks for your quick answer.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Hmm... the sounds are triggered by the "event messages" client receives from the server. Maybe classification of some events has changed and the soundset has not been changed accordingly. The event classication is seen also in Options -> Messages. There one configures the visibility of event messages by their classification.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Sorry, couldn't find event messages in the "Options -> Messages". But then again I'm a computerse idiot.

(In another topic: Can we hope for a Default3 upgraded to 2.5.0 ?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Arbogast wrote:(In another topic: Can we hope for a Default3 upgraded to 2.5.0 ?
How about you ask that directly in the Default3+ Ruleset thread?
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Sorry, couldn't find event messages in the "Options -> Messages".
They all are.

You can see how they are divided to different types from there. So, there can be separate sounds for "Enemy Diplomat: Poison" and "Enemy Diplomat: Sabotage", but not "Technology gained by method a" and "Technology gained by method b"
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Again, I wasn't clear enough.
I went thru the 'event message' with a magnifying glass. There is nothing about sounds that I could understand.