Windows 7 Qt could not find or load platform plugin windows

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Windows 7 Qt could not find or load platform plugin windows

Post by GriffonSpade »

Code: Select all

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".
Reinstalling the program may fix the problem.
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Terminal error on startup directly from freeciv-qt.exe. Have all 3 clients installed. Reinstall in same location, and reinstall to default location resulted in the same problem. Oddly, running it at the end of installation(via the checkmark) appears to work just fine.
SOLUTION:
cazfi wrote:Do you try to run freeciv-qt.exe directly? freeciv-qt.cmd (that should be the one visible in the windows menu) should set the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable correctly before running the .exe.
Last edited by GriffonSpade on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Windows 7 Qt could not find or load platform plugin wind

Post by cazfi »

Please report this to the bugtracker: http://gna.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=freeciv
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Do you try to run freeciv-qt.exe directly? freeciv-qt.cmd (that should be the one visible in the windows menu) should set the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable correctly before running the .exe.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:Do you try to run freeciv-qt.exe directly? freeciv-qt.cmd (that should be the one visible in the windows menu) should set the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable correctly before running the .exe.
That is indeed the problem, and this resolves it. Thanks cazfi. I'll put the solution up in the OP in case any other person makes the same kind of mistake. (Though, I imagine it's an unusual problem affecting only some modders...)
joatmon3

Post by joatmon3 »

I'm having the same problem, but running the .cmd file doesn't work, it just flashes a cmd window and then doesn't do anything else. I just wanted to try freeciv, haven't added any mods or anything, but I installed to my downloads folder - could that be an issue? Thanks.