AmplioHexBig 2.5

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: AmplioHexBig 2.5

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Looks rather nice. Though it would be even nicer if it was easily possible for roads to connect to bridges.
But... three rivers? Are you adding a normal one to the Green and Brown ones from Alien? All in one ruleset?

Though, I have to agree, only 8 different road types does limit the potential for making complex stuff.
However, if road building requirements were moved to effects.ruleset ('Road_XY_Possible' or something), Bridges and roads could be the same road type, buildable under different conditions, and they'd connect. Perhaps someone should suggest that...
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:road building requirements were moved to effects.ruleset ('Road_XY_Possible' or something)
The "_Possible" -effects way of doing things is going away (thought the transition will be hard and possibly long). Things like this will be made via action enablers in the future. In 2.6 action enablers are limited to caravan and diplomat actions, but this road build control might get included to 3.0.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Caedo wrote:Looks rather nice. Though it would be even nicer if it was easily possible for roads to connect to bridges.
But... three rivers? Are you adding a normal one to the Green and Brown ones from Alien? All in one ruleset?

Though, I have to agree, only 8 different road types does limit the potential for making complex stuff.
I make test rulesets primarily for editing tilesets, which means I throw everything and the kitchen sink into them, even stuff not actually intended for publication. :P
Caedo wrote:However, if road building requirements were moved to effects.ruleset ('Road_XY_Possible' or something), Bridges and roads could be the same road type, buildable under different conditions, and they'd connect. Perhaps someone should suggest that...
If this is still valid, such a connection is possible in freeciv 2.6, which is still pre-alpha.
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... t=50#p1672
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:I make test rulesets primarily for editing tilesets, which means I throw everything and the kitchen sink into them, even stuff not actually intended for publication. :P
You're going to hate 2.6 with limited number of extras, instead of a couple of hardcoded ones. It currently has limitation on both number of roads/bases, and total number of extras. You can have max 16 roads + 32 bases + 16 other extras, but if you have less roads or bases, you can have more other extras. I'm about to check if we could lift the separate limits for base and road counts, and have just one limit for "total number of extras".
GriffonSpade wrote:freeciv 2.6, which is still pre-alpha.
Actually, version string of S2_6 is currently 2.5.99-alpha, got changed from 2.5.99-dev when we branched.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:I make test rulesets primarily for editing tilesets, which means I throw everything and the kitchen sink into them, even stuff not actually intended for publication. :P
You're going to hate 2.6 with limited number of extras, instead of a couple of hardcoded ones. It currently has limitation on both number of roads/bases, and total number of extras. You can have max 16 roads + 32 bases + 16 other extras, but if you have less roads or bases, you can have more other extras. I'm about to check if we could lift the separate limits for base and road counts, and have just one limit for "total number of extras".
Hmm, that's a lot of bases. The increase to 16 roads is definitely nice though. I don't see using more than that being a thing. The only thing that might ever be too small is the 64 total extra limit.
cazfi wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:freeciv 2.6, which is still pre-alpha.
Actually, version string of S2_6 is currently 2.5.99-alpha, got changed from 2.5.99-dev when we branched.
Ah, I was thinking of the format-freeze as the beginning of alpha testing.

Edit: Finally figured out what to do for rubber, the last civ3 strategic resource.
A clean chunk of latex rubber, in the form that give it the name: a gum eraser.
rubber.png
rubber.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 12000 times
The Square Cow
Veteran

Post by The Square Cow »

Good idea for rubber. However, could you move the shadow farther down, because right now it looks sort of like a brush? I should people could figure it out as it is but it might work better if the shadow was farther down.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

The Square Cow wrote:Good idea for rubber. However, could you move the shadow farther down, because right now it looks sort of like a brush? I should people could figure it out as it is but it might work better if the shadow was farther down.
I've actually since reoriented it and altered the shadow so it's more like other resources.
And I made a quick oil rig for oceanic terrain. Mostly just giving the oil derrick a platform.
rubber.png
rubber.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 11996 times
oil_rig.png
oil_rig.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 11996 times
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
Wait, extras as in Irrigation, Mine etc. or as in Terrain Resources?
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:Wait, extras as in Irrigation, Mine etc.
See "Extra Types" from http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/f ... in.ruleset
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:And I made a quick oil rig for oceanic terrain. Mostly just giving the oil derrick a platform.
Oh, thank you for that. That was bugging me about 2.6 (where civ2civ3 will support ocean "mines").