Freeciv-web development

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
cazfi
Elite

Freeciv-web development

Post by cazfi »

I can't run freeciv-web on my system at the moment as the minimum requirements were (without warning) increased so that Debian Testing is not enough, but I would recommend updating freeciv-server svn to a nwere version with the much better unit activity icons than those in the current version. Those improve usability (one can easily tell what units are doing, instead of some icons getting all blurred to the background) quite a lot.
AndreasR
Elite

Re: Freeciv-web development

Post by AndreasR »

cazfi wrote:I can't run freeciv-web on my system at the moment as the minimum requirements were (without warning) increased so that Debian Testing is not enough
I'm pretty sure that Freeciv-web will work nicely on most Debian and Linux distributions. Which requirement do you refer to? The only relevant change I did recently was update the README specifying that one should use Tornado version 4.1 or later. That was because this is the first stable version of Tornado which supports WebSocket compression, and I would recommend that you use this version since JSON uses much less bandwidth when compressed. It will still work with much older versions of Tornado, but then without WebSocket compression. So the version number is more of a strong recommendation than a requirement.

Please report any specific problems or error message you have running Freeciv-web on your system, and I can try to help you getting up and running. For example, yesterday I did a test on a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.10 as the host operating system, where I got Freeciv-web easily up and running on a virtual machine in an hour using Vagrant and Virtualbox.

You will have to re-run Freeciv-img-extract and run build.sh in the /freeciv-web directory if you are updating an existing build, since I'm trying to add support for multiple tilesets. I would strongly suggest a fresh build with Vagrant, though.
cazfi wrote:I would recommend updating freeciv-server svn to a nwere version with the much better unit activity icons than those in the current version. Those improve usability (one can easily tell what units are doing, instead of some icons getting all blurred to the background) quite a lot.
Sure; I can do that.

By the way, what do you think of pushing the current version of Freeciv-web to production soon, for some better testing? It's been quite a long while since the last time now.

Andreas
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AndreasR wrote:By the way, what do you think of pushing the current version of Freeciv-web to production soon, for some better testing?
I don't know if bug #23286 affects freeciv-web, but if it does it would be the most signifinant known issue.

I saw you had a lot of commit messages stating updating version of this and that, and when the tiles were all messed up in the build I tested I assumed lacking minimum versions were the reason.
My rebuild script does both freeciv-img-extract sync.sh and freeciv-web build.sh (in addition to sync-js-hand.sh) so those shouldn't be the problem.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Then the problem is caused by this commit. Some tileset Javascript files have changed names, so you will have obsolete generated Javascript files in /freeciv-web. Try running 'mvn clean' in /freeciv-web/ and also delete freeciv-web-tileset.js and web_tileset_*.js from freeciv-web/src/main/webapp/javascript/ then re-run build.sh.
I don't know if bug #23286 affects freeciv-web, but if it does it would be the most signifinant known issue.
Yes, this affects Freeciv-web, so I'll delay deploying to prod.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Cazfi, did my last comment resolve your problem?

Andreas
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I have had no time to test yet. But once I do, I'll let you know if it fails (i.e., if I cannot get the updates done I should be making next).
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Andreas: What do you think about patch #5913 in context of freeciv-web? Is this something that may fix some connection breakage situations (I'm mainly thinking about turn-change time when server is busy calculating cities and all the AI actions, and not reading packets out from the buffer as quickly as usual), or will it cause some problem?
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

I'm positive to that improvement! I'm for anything that can improve connection reliability. Altough I rarely or never have connection problems myself, I see from Track.js logs that some users have connection issues.

I think the best long-term solution for Freeciv-web would be to embed libwebsocket:
http://gna.org/bugs/?23283