new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Re: new FreeCiv mod development - NExtended

Post by ngunjaca »

cazfi wrote:What are your plans about porting this to 2.5? It would be useful for me for testing purposes - to make sure that freeciv-2.5 has no problems with a modpack like this. I can port it myself if needed, but I want to avoid duplicate work if you are already doing that, or have a newer version that should be ported instead of working on the old one.
I did plan to port it to 2.5 when I finish the Ancient era development. since i am buried down in doing graphics when i do work on the mod (and since this work isn't nearly finished), if you have time it would be great if you do it. i did not start working on a newer mod version, neither have i updated/changed the last version of the mod which you provided on this thread so you can use that file.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Here is something new i was doing/experimenting lately. i have tried to change the image size for the buildings gfx to 120x64 as i got often frustrated with the "small space" for creative expression. so far i like the results as more details pop out and the images clearly look better. now in the game itself it does not look bad at all if you get used to the larger images.

Here are the three updated gfx from the tribal part of the mod:

How does the large format of buildings GFX look like in the game:
Here is a sample from the research tree...
And here is one from the City screen...
Ignore the unfinished buildings or the Venus which is not updated in the Research Tree (also the palisade is too dark - did not noticed it until i implemented it into the game). All buildings will have a border added like the Stonehenge wonder has a yellow border.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

It's gone from very nice to awesome !!! :o
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

ngunjaca wrote:
cazfi wrote:What are your plans about porting this to 2.5? It would be useful for me for testing purposes - to make sure that freeciv-2.5 has no problems with a modpack like this. I can port it myself if needed, but I want to avoid duplicate work if you are already doing that, or have a newer version that should be ported instead of working on the old one.
I did plan to port it to 2.5 when I finish the Ancient era development. since i am buried down in doing graphics when i do work on the mod (and since this work isn't nearly finished), if you have time it would be great if you do it. i did not start working on a newer mod version, neither have i updated/changed the last version of the mod which you provided on this thread so you can use that file.
http://www.cazfi.net/freeciv/nextended- ... cazfi-1.7z

At least it loads....

- I added "duplicates_ok" to .tilespec capstr to silence warnings about duplicate unit gfx. If you're going to maintain 2.4 version, that's probably worth backporting
- Barbarian sanity checking caused some headache (already opened patch #5477 about improving the documentation). I had to increase capacity of all the ferryboat types used by barbarians to 2 so that both the Barbarian Leader and at least one man fits in. As Sea moving unit cannot be the raider, I had to remove "BarbarianSea" flag from all the ferryboats, and gave it (as at least one is needed) to Legion which is also the Land Barbarian unit. The original problems should be solved in 2.4 too, even if freeciv sanity checking does not warn about them there (2.4 version sanity check does not include proper checks for these)
- All completely new effects needed for freeciv-2.5 compatibility are added to the end of effects.ruleset instead of their "correct" slot so you can check them before moving to where they belong
- Road types (new concept in 2.5) Road and River are copied almost verbatim from classic ruleset. I tried to be careful to keep your rules the same as they were, though (road/river never gives trade bonus). I left Railroad out as you had had no tech enabling it so building them has never been possible
- I didn't follow your style to add bare values to the rulesets, but often copied documentation comments in also. Not just for the sake of it though - if I didn't touch something I didn't bother with the comments either
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Here is a replacement GFX for the shrine building (Tribal Age)
Darker ambient is done on purpose, i liked it better than the "day" ambient
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

ahh i finally finished the Venus of Willendorf GFX. Here are the results:
I had to force myself to learn some methods of 3d model creation I never used before (sculpting) so it took quite a while to finish this.
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

Here is some work in progress for the granary big GFX
The Square Cow
Veteran

Post by The Square Cow »

It looks good.
ngunjaca
Veteran